Chapter Twenty-Nine- Zoey's Story

2016 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Unedited, first draft

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Week Eight

Thursday

I stared at Zoey as she slowly stood up. Today was not the best day for her, but regardless, she wanted to tell her story. She had gotten chemotherapy the previous day and was still feeling the after effects. Chanel helped her get to her feet. Chanel and Rico sat close and were ready should she feel weak and fall.

Her normal caramel skin was pale due to the toxins in her body. Near the beginning, she had luscious brown locks. I learned that was a wig. She wasn't wearing it today. Instead, her head was wrapped in a floral bandana. Her amber eyes were dull and her lips were chapped. Her hands shook as she held the paper she planned to read off of. I listened closely to her story.

"I'm going to keep this short." Her raspy voice told us.

Doctor Harris nodding in understanding, "That's okay, Zoey."

I was diagnosed with Leukemia a couple years ago. I'm still receiving aggressive chemotherapy for my family, but I don't want it. It sucks. It's torment on the body and mind. I know I'm going to die young. I've accepted that. My family doesn't.

They think I'm depressed. I'm not. I've accepted my fate. I was pushed to come to all these meetings in hopes that I would fight it. I can feel it inside of me. I'm going to die within the next year.

It's not that I don't want to be here. I do. I'm missing out on a lot and I will miss out on a lot. But I have a disease that cannot be cured and my body can't fight it anymore.

Everyone continues to rally against the disease. They constantly send me words of encouragements and books to help. My close friends look at me and cry. My parents look at me and get upset.

I'm tired. I'm exhausted mentally and physically. I'm drained.

I pray to God every night that he will take care of my family and my friends after I pass. I pray that he will take care of me when I reach the gates of Heaven.

It's time. I've accepted that. My family and friends haven't, which is why I'm here.

Zoey paused. "Excuse me..." Zoey motioned for the garbage can by Chanel. She grabbed it as she sat down and proceeded to empty her stomach into the can. Chanel rubbed her back and whispered soothing words. Another member named Tom, retrieved water and some napkins for her. "I'm sorry..." She apologized between the retching.

"Let's call it a night here. Zoey, I'll call your mother." Doctor Harris stated and told the rest of us we could leave.

We murmured for her to feel better as a majority of us left to give her privacy while she got sick. She gave us a wave and a weak smile in response. Chanel, Rico and Doctor Harris stayed with her.

My heart ached for her. No one deserved to die young, nor did they deserve to deal with a deadly disease along the way.

________

This chapter needed to be short because each group member gets their own chapter. Zoey's story just didn't need to be long.