t w e n t y - t w o

Adeles POV

No doubt our bundle of joy has been waking us up since the day he was born. Actually, it seems like he's been screaming and crying twenty-four hours a day. If he wasn't being held he was crying, if he wasn't being fed he was crying, if something as little as a fly landed on his soft face he'd be crying. 

I've never had a baby that cried so long and hard like he does. Maybe its the lack of love Simon and I have been showing him. Or maybe he misses the other half of him.

Amber.

Soon enough, the loud wailing sounds piercing your ears travel through the walls. My eyes flutter open, at first I try to ignore it and go back to sleep but it quickly becomes unbearable. They grew louder as I stumble to the baby's room. 

I lean down to pick Arron up, "Why aren't you tired, buddy." I whisper rubbing my thumb on his soft cheek. He slowly starts to calm down and his little eyelids began to close again.

I hold my breath hoping he would stay asleep. I continue to rock him back and forth for a little bit when I feel someone's hands wrap around my hips. Plump lips meet my neck, and slowly makes its way to my cheek, then find my lips. 

I quickly kiss him and set Arron back into his crib before Simon or I wake him up. 

As I help Simon carry his stuff downstairs, his phone vibrates loudly.

"The taxi is here." Simon slowly says looking away from me.

I don't say anything because I know that anything I say would trigger my waterworks and I need to stay strong for Simon.

"Bye, my baby." He whispers panting one last kiss on my lips. 

I still don't move as I watch him walk to the front door and turn the doorknob.

He suddenly drops everything and runs back to me, passionately pressing his lips to mine.

"I love you so much, babe. I always have, and always will." He whispers in my ear as he pulls me into a hug.

We stand there.

 Just hugging.

Just thinking.

 Just feeling.

just taking in the moment, as a flurry of rain gently pattered against the windows. 

Hearing the taxi pull into our driveway, Simon pulls away from the hug. "I love you." He says as his hand lets go of mine and he slowly walks out of the house.

"I love you too..."  I quietly as soon as he closes the door, knowing that he couldn't hear me.

I collapse on the cold floor and lean against the door, letting out all the tears I had been fighting so hard to keep inside. 

Through the sidelights of the door and through my blurred vision, I saw the car speed off into the night.

I sat there and cried what was left of heart out. 

Crying about Simon, about Amber, just about everything that was wrong, as if crying would make a difference.

But it didn't.