The Easy Way

Colonel Krait's Office
15th Forward Support Battalion Headquarters
Fort Hood, Texas
CONUS
26 September, 1991
0930 Hours

The Sergeant Major followed me in. I'd done a double-take when I'd seen him, then his nametag. I honestly didn't know that Sergeant Major Ferris was still Active Duty. In 2/19th lore he was famous for his actions during the Tet Offense in 1968, the last action of 2/19th before its reactivation in the 1980's.

Famous as in Chief Henley famous.

Colonel Krait didn't stand when I walked into his office and saluted. He was a pudgy man, with a weak chin, dark eyes and dark hair almost out of military regs, with full lips that looked slightly pouty. His face had a certain tightness I'd seen before, and when my eyes flicked to his right shoulder and back to his face I saw irritation pass through those dark eyes.

His right shoulder was bare.

He made me hold the salute for almost 30 seconds before giving me a half-assed wave. The expected offer to sit wasn't on the agenda, I knew it, and my grim silence let him know I knew it.

"Take those sunglasses off," He snapped.

I brought my left hand forward, holding a folded sheet of paper, and offered it to him. "Permanent profile, sir. Corneal damage due to extreme snow blindness, suffered line of duty and went untreated for nearly one-hundred-fifty days," I told him, going to Parade Rest.

He looked at my profile paper and sneered. "And if I give you a direct order to take them off?"

"I will immediately go to JAG after our meeting and file a formal complaint against you for issuing an illegal order violating my medical profile as well as putting my military career at risk, apply for a transfer from this unit, and alert Blackbriar Ridge Training and Personnel Command that I cannot discharge my duties safely due to your demands," I told him in a cold voice. I let my lip curl in a sneer, "And I still won't have taken them off."

He jumped up, his face red, "Might I remind you who outranks who, soldier," he snapped.

I just stared at him blank faced.

"I find your blatant disregard for my orders a problem, Chief Warrant Officer," He snapped, sitting back down. He waited a moment for a reaction, but I didn't give him any and he continued after whatever that ugliness was passed through his eyes again. "I had ordered a full Class-A inspection for the entire battalion."

He paused for effect. "Imagine my surprise when none of Charlie Company shows up."

He waited again, but I didn't bother speaking.

Stillwater's First Rule of Dealing With Officers: Do not speak unless directed to.

That flush crept up from his collar again.

"What makes you think you can ignore my orders, Cromwell?" He snapped at me.

"Vital scheduled training lasted longer than anticipated, sir," I lied. I'd known good and well that we'd be out there all day. Personally, I couldn't give a cold fart in a blizzard about a 'monthly Class-A inspection' or whatever crap a lifer REMF officer dreamed up to make himself feel important.

He opened his mouth to yell, then his brain finished processing what I had told him. He waited for me to elaborate, but I stood there silent in front of him.

Stillwater's Second Rule: Give as little information as possible when answering only the question you were asked.

And the third rule: Never volunteer information.