The Rod & Gun

Rod & Gun Club
Fort Hood, Texas
CONUS
19 September, 1991
1900 Hours

Captain Jane and SPC Donovan looked a little surprised as I pushed back my second plate. Two steaks (rare), baked potato, salad, and spinach, and it had all gone down quickly. After the workout I was starving, which was normal.

"Thanks for dinner, Chief," Donovan said. He looked a little embarrassed, dressed in his BDU's like the Captain and me, but I knew he would have been more embarrassed if we'd gone to the O-Club instead of the Rod & Gun.

"Specialist Donovan, you realize you are now my assistant, do you not?" I asked, raising one eyebrow.

He nodded, frowning slightly.

"That means, from the time my day starts till my day ends, you will be accompanying me," I told him, sipping at my glass of seltzer water. I looked at Captain Jane pointedly before back to the young man, "If this went as I am accustomed to, you would be under arms at all times you are in my presence. Since you are not currently qualified on either the M1911A1 or the M9 or the M3, I cannot in good conscience demand you stay under arms."

Captain Jane frowned and I explained a little further. "I will be possession of classified data, from code books to the unit METL to the unit's training roster. I would be in constant possession of data regarding the unit's ability and resources when it came to an NBC conflict, including such information as the exact amount of nuclear weapons I could provide to 67th Armor. As this is CONUS, the operational realities are different, so you are not required to be under arms."

Captain Jane chuckled, "Not to mention how having a Specialist wandering around at all times locked and loaded would spook the chain of command."

"Hmm," I said, sipping at my drink and thinking. "You might have something there."

"What?" She asked.

I opened my mouth to answer when a large man stepped up next to me, looking down. My hand reflexively twitched toward my belt as I looked up quickly.

And cried out in joy, standing up, my chair sliding backwards, and hugged the big guy in BDU's who had stopped.

"Captain Lee!" I said, stepping back and holding him at the waist. People were staring, but I didn't care.

"It's Major now, Cromwell," He grinned, tapping the gold oakleaf on his lapel.

"Congrats," I told him, letting god. "It's damn good to see you, sir."

"You too, Sergeant," He said.

"Ah ah ah, it's Chief now," I told him, tapping my own rank. I turned to the table, "Allow me to introduce Captain Jane, commanding officer of Charlie Company , 15th Forward Support, and Specialist Donovan, my helper monkey."

"Ma'am, Specialist," The big man said, nodding to them. He looked at me. "Knew it had to be you, you're the only person I know who'd be wearing stater glasses inside."

That made me blush slightly and I changed the subject. "Didn't know you were at Hood now."

He nodded at that. "Yeah, with Second Armored, at least until they deactivate us again."

That made me shake my head. "Seems a waste to deactivate her."

Someone called out to him and he held out two fingers. "I've got a dinner with my tank commanders. Good to see you, Cromwell."

"Good to see you, Lee," I said, standing on my tiptoes and kissing his cheek. He chuckled and turned toward the table, waving, and I sat down, knowing I was blushing.