Mistaken Strategy

Mistaken Strategy

Though Colette was prepared for General Didier to return for another attempt at reclaiming Gy-Hamelin, because it was such a valuable target, he did not. The remaining days waiting for the permanent troop assignment to arrive from Gwenael passed uneventfully.

Buildings were repaired, the injured were tended to, and Colette helped fix the roof that she was partially responsible for breaking in the first place. The church was the tallest building in town though, she had needed to stand on it to be really visible to the enemy. Still, she felt bad for destroying the Lord's place of worship, so she had been one of those who had repaired it afterwards.

Nina had sent two ships full of soldiers to occupy Gy-Hamelin. They were greeted with warmth and relief from the people. Since he had days to prepare for their arrival, Mayor Patrice had readied quarters for them so they didn't have to take beds in people's homes as the soldiers from Gascony had done.

Colette and Nicolas met with the commander, a high knight from the capital, and welcomed him into the town. They didn't leave the city immediately after their arrival. They wanted to make sure that the incoming army was settled in and the captain of the forces was on good terms with the mayor. Since these soldiers would be living here for a while, they needed to be comfortable. Therefore, despite knowing that other towns needed her attention, Colette elected to stay for another night. She would rather invest one more and know the situation was well off then have to return later.

Early the next morning though, she stood at the stern of her ship as it was getting ready to lift off and smiled over the town.

There was a crowd of people gathered below, on and off of the pier. They were cheering. Not just for her, but for the entirety of her army. All of them had a part in freeing them from Gascony as representatives of their king. To see them off, they had brought out flags and were waving them with handkerchiefs as though waving goodbye to their own people.

"Lady Toinette."

She turned to see Guilbert saluting her with a smile.

"We're ready to lift off at your command."

She nodded. "Tell the captain to set sail."

"Yes, my lady." He turned and walked off to relay her orders.

She looked back at the people below. While she had been talking to Guilbert, Nicolas had been walking up from her other side. He came to a halt just as she was leaning forward onto the railing, smiling out over the excited people of Gy-Hamelin.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked gently.

She smiled a bit. "I like this town."

"Yeah?"

"Mm..." She nodded once. "I like the variety of goods they have. The mountains are beautiful as well. The people are nice, and the blending of the two country cultures was interesting to see."

Nicolas nodded. "I suppose."

"But, it's strange," she laughed just a bit. "I like this town, and I can't wait to leave."

Nicolas started snickering. She laughed along with him.

"That's an odd thought, huh?"

"From anyone else, I would say yes."

The ship's engine began rumbling to life far below deck. It didn't fully drown out the sound of the crowd, but it made them harder to hear.

"What's Jorives like?" Colette asked, leaning her head onto her hand.