Speed and Perception

The next day passed both too quickly and far too slowly. While Colette had a great deal of fun touring the markets with Ferrant, she kept checking the sun in the sky and the clocks on the streets to see how far away her trial was.

She was excited. She was eager. She was just a little bit nervous, but it was easily covered by the sheer joy she felt at having the opportunity to fight against one of the Paladins in front of her king. It wasn't even about winning and proving herself. The battle alone was such an honor to participate in that she would be satisfied even if she did lose.

Not that she seriously considered, for even a moment, that she could lose.

Then the morning of the second day came and, before the sun was even up, Nicolas and Ferrant escorted her to the Quicksilver District and to the Holy Sacellum. The enormous dome shaped building with multiple branching corridors coming off of it in every direction was dark and quiet in the dimness of the dawn. A few acolytes moved about the grounds, but most were preparing for her trial.

Waiting for them at the entrance of the Sacellum, a young man wearing white robes that covered his entire body smiled brightly as they approached. He had platinum blonde hair that shined brightly even in the darkness and eyes that were startlingly green.

"Good morning, Sir Sacha," he greeted pleasantly.

"Gael," Nicolas nodded. "This is Lady Colette Toinette, here for her trial. That is Ferrant Barnabe, a friend that has come to watch over her."

"You three are welcome into the Lord's Sacellum," Gael nodded. "Master Eneas is waiting for you, Lady Toinette. I'll take you to him. Nicolas, I can have someone escort you to the trial chamber."

"That's all right. I remember where it is," he said. "I can take Ferrant there myself."

"As you wish. Lady Toinette?"

"Good luck," Ferrant smiled at her, passing her the box he had carried with them from Nicolas's Suite that contained her clothing. Part of her cleansing would be an actual bath, she would have to change into them afterwards.

"Thank you," she beamed, throwing an arm around him and hugging him tightly. She turned and nearly did the same to Nicolas.

She caught herself just in time and the two looked away from each other awkwardly.

"Er, good luck," Nicolas said, clearing his throat. "We'll be waiting for you in the trial room."

She nodded before walking up the steps towards the platinum blonde man. Though he held himself tall, she realized as she drew even with him, that he was actually shorter than she was. Not by much, but he was still rather small for a man.

"My lady," he inclined his head as he started walking her into the Sacellum. "You may call me Gael. I'm an acolyte here under the direct tutelage of Master Eneas. I'll be assisting you with your cleansing this morning. Master Eneas will oversee your final prayers. However, I can pray with you at any time, if you wish it."

"Thank you, Gael," she smiled at him. "I put myself in your very capable hands."

He gave her a calming, yet still happy smile as he took her deeper into the holy building. They separated from Ferrant and Nicolas early and didn't pass anyone else in the long, marble corridors that were lit by intermittently placed candelabras. It was almost like a maze with multiple twists and turns that nearly left Colette dizzy.

When he finally stopped before a door, she could smell the steam and myrrh coming from inside. Gael smiled at her and opened it, letting the steam coming billowing out. Inside was a room with a deep depression in the stone floor that was filled with hot water.