General Didier

General Didier

Gy-Hamelin was nestled inside the border mountains, within a large valley that created a massive 'bowl' between the surrounding high peaks. Though, originally it had been two towns, the fusion of the different countries had happened so long ago that there was no longer any distinguishing between what they had been.

Most of the town was within the valley itself, though there were piers on multiple different peaks, allowing for trade to come in from nearly any direction. There were three paths into town, one from Gascony, one from Vasconia, and the path that wound through the mountains itself. They were all footpaths though, not nearly big enough for an army.

Most of the piers had been closed and blockaded. All except for one that was on the Gascony side of the border mountains. That one was playing host to two massive war ships. Both of which were loaded down with ballistae, food, and supplies. Since the town was cut off from its other trade routes, they were now relying completely on what Gascony would bring them.

Neither ship was loaded down with soldiers though. The Gascony troops that they originally brought had been offloaded and were now inhabiting the town. Gy-Hamelin was solidly occupied and the soldiers firmly in place within the city.

All of that information had been brought to Colette by a scout that they had sent ahead through the mountain path to check out the situation.

From that, Colette devised her plan.

Nicolas protested. Vehemently.

She overruled him. A tad smugly.

Her troops agreed with her. Excitedly.

Turns out, a group of hotheaded young people who had hyped themselves up about to going to war were more than eager to do any sort of stupid thing that she requested of them. No matter how ill-advised or reckless it might have been.

So, the helmsman began taking them up towards the clouds.

Nicolas watched the ground get further away as he stood next to Colette near the prow.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" He asked her again.

She chuckled excitedly, clapping his back. "Where's your sense of fun and adventure?"

"I left it on the earth," he grumbled, crossing his arms.

She laughed again, walking around the deck. The only other people up there with them was the crew of the ship itself. All of her troops were below deck, waiting for deployment. Preparing for their moment of glory, as it were.

"I just think there are better ways of going about this," Nicolas said, following after her.

"You weren't coming up with any plans when we were strategizing."

"Which I regret."

Colette smirked. "Did you send off my message to Sybille?"

"I did," he nodded. "I imagine she'll have the same opinion on this plan of yours as I do."

"And by the time she voices her displeasure, it will be too late."

The air was beginning to get thinner the higher up they went. Colette took a deep breath, letting the bracing coolness fill her lungs. They were beginning to come around the peaks of the lower mountains, and the machine on the base of the ship kept running.

"Captain, we're in your hands," Colette waved to him where he stood with the helmsman. He gave her one in return with a smirk.

Even the crew didn't seem to mind this insane maneuver she had dreamed up. It worked with small airships, she had told Nicolas after he first protested. To which he returned that an enormous war vessel like the Cloud Gazer was a far cry from a personal airship.