Volunteer

Volunteer

The feast thrown in Colette's honor was not just a celebration for herself and the paladins. It was being enjoyed by the entirety of the city. Though the majority of the people would likely never get to meet her, or any of the paladins, a new member joining their ranks was something that the entire country would consider a joyous occasion.

Proclamations were sent out to all the major cities in Vasconia announcing her name, titles, and position. A special one was sent back to South Gate along with a personal note from Colette to her grandmother Vivienne announcing the news and detailing her excitement.

The rooms she had been given in the Paladin's Suite were far grander than Nicolas' and came with her own private bathing room and a balcony that gave her a marvelous view of the palace. She even had a small garden on that balcony and a comfortable chair to enjoy it on nice days. She didn't have much in the way of belongings to move in, but she would accumulate more, she was sure. The point was that this was her space now. Her home.

Felicie dropped by with first with a cake and a welcoming smile that made Colette uncomfortable. It was like she wasn't truly lying, but there was always something about her that seemed false. Despite the woman being friendly and happy, it put Colette on her guard.

She dressed up that night in preparation for the feast. As advised, she didn't wear a gown or dress, though it was a formal affair. She did pick out her best trousers and boots, happy that her grandmother had convinced her to pack them. Then she picked a soft, white cotton shirt with bell sleeves that tightened at her wrists. Over that, she pulled her chain mail. It made the shirt look fancy, it also kept her wearing her mail.

When Nicolas picked her up, she was pleased to see that he had also dressed up. He had chosen black trousers with thin silver embroidery and a black vest with similar markings. He was wearing his nicest cape and the pin denoting his rank had been buffed and shined.

"Hello, handsome," Colette beamed upon opening her door.

Nicolas blinked in surprise. Not at her clothing. It wasn't all that dissimilar to what she usually wore, and he was expecting that. But she had spent time and effort on her hair. The blonde braid had been undone and she had pulled the top half of it back and let the curled waves cascade freely down her back. It was simple, but it highlighted the shape of her face very well.

Everything she wore should have been masculine, but it never was because of those little touches.

"Ready to go?" He asked, staring at her without shame.

"Yeah," she nodded enthusiastically, stepping outside. "Where's Ferrant?"

"He's waiting downstairs. He didn't really feel comfortable coming inside."

"Huh? Why not?"

Nicolas shrugged, letting Colette take his arm. "He seems rather shy. I think everyone's titles make him uncomfortable. He doesn't really have one himself."

Colette frowned. "I guess not. It never bothered him in South Gate."

"South Gate is significantly smaller than Gwenael."

"He'll get more comfortable," Colette nodded, mostly to herself. "When he gets back to work especially."

Ferrant had tried his best to dress sharply, though he hadn't packed anything special as Colette had. He had needed to borrow formal trousers from Nicolas and the dark black didn't quite look as sharp on him as it did on Nicolas.

Still, Colette was beaming to have both men on her arms. She was pulling Ferrant from his shyness with her usual exuberance and excitement. She was so focused on her childhood friend that Nicolas felt like he could stare at her more freely now.