Chapter Twenty Five

I sat on a stool in front of a vanity watching as Teylie weaved diamonds into my hair. We had decided it best to not tell Casmir we were... borrowing some of his jewels.

We were getting dressed and dolled up for the ball, and I had been sitting on the hard wood of the stool for thirty minutes. I'd be lying if I said my butt didn't feel like it had been kicked about twenty times.

I examined myself in the mirror as Teylie teased and brushed and twirled. I had donned a white ball gown that had many layers. It's skirt was big and fluffy. The waist and bust were littered with tiny white crystals that shimmered and sparkled in the light. It had long sleeves made from a rose patterned lace. The sleeves came all the way down to my wrists, then a small bit of lace was placed around my middle finger.

My hair was pinned back at the sides in two braids that connected on the back of my head. And being weaved in the braid were many little diamonds we had found scattered around our room.

We found out from Casmir that the ball was a masquerade. So, Teylie made quick work of silk, sapphires, and a little slice of a mattress. In just a few minutes I had a white mask-that covered just my eyes- sprinkled with little sapphires.

"All done." Teylie announced stepping away from me.

I stood up and spun in a slow circle, letting her examine her handy work. Teylie shook her head.

"What?" I asked, looking down at myself. "Is something wrong?"

"No!" Teylie said extending her hands towards me. "It is just that... you look beautiful."

I smiled, "Thank you. You do too."

And she did. She wore a light blue ball gown that was decorated in bright green emeralds. Her sleeves were designed like mine, only hers were made from lace with little seashells adorning it. I thought it was a fitting design. Her mask was made from blue silk and was covered completely by little shavings of emeralds that caused her face to glitter with every movement of her head.

We looked at each other and nodded. We looked amazing.

"Wow." Ray said breathlessly walking in to our room. He was wearing a fine black jacket over a white shirt that was tucked into his fancy black pants.

Teylie and I, in sync, fist bumped at the complement. We did give off a certain, wow factor.

Ray was looking at me like he was seeing a ghost. "You look... like a fallen star."

I smiled softly, a soft blush creeping to my cheeks.

Teylie smirked, pride in her eyes. "Well, Ray, I must say, you clean up nice."

Ray chuckled, "Thank you, Teylie. You look stunning as well."

Teylie huffed, and as she walked past Ray she said, "I know." 

Ray and I chuckled as she shut the door behind her. I shook my head, "She surprises me sometimes. She seemed so quiet and innocent when I first met her, but, now I know better."

Ray smiled, taking a small step towards me. "You look beautiful, Raven."

I smiled gently, "Thank you. You look very spiffy yourself."

He huffed a laugh, glancing down at himself. "Why, thank you." He frowned slightly when he once again was looking into my eyes. "Are you ready?"

"I guess so, all I need to do is avoid sharp objects while at the palace. Avoid anything that could cause chest pain."

Ray's face turned contemplative, "Did the Boggle say it would be a physical pain? It could be emotional... something that brings pain to your heart."

I hadn't thought of that. "No... he didn't specify." Fear creeped into my thoughts. "What if... what if one of you get hurt?"

Ray shook his head, "No. We'll be extra careful."

I nodded, "We need to tell the others to watch out." But... I widened my eyes as realization sparked. "That was the future The Boggle was telling... it's going to happen. I'm going to have some sort of chest pain. There is nothing we can do to stop it."

Ray pursed his lips. "We'll be careful. The future can be altered."

I sure hoped so.

I didn't think I could live with myself if one of my friends got hurt... or died.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We rode to the palace in a carriage Casmir had gotten us. I sat beside Teylie and across from Apollo. They both were trying to avoid each other as much as possible. They hadn't spoken a word to each other all day since their fight... but I understood why.

William had been asked to stay behind. The king probably knew who he was. If not the king, guards surely did. He had seen us off, waving goodbye from beside Casmir. Casmir had been pretending to weep as we left, but I could have sworn I saw him drink from a tall bottle when he thought we couldn't see him.

After an hour of bumping and sliding around in the carriage, we pulled into the palace driveway and I gasped. It was huge. A tall ebony building stood before us as we climbed out of the small wooden carriage. One tower went up so high, I couldn't see the top. I shook my head. How long did it take to build that?

"Everyone ready?" Apollo asked meekly.

We all nodded, but I sensed it. I felt the words no one dared say. We weren't ready. Not even close. Sure we looked the part, but on the inside... we were all wishing we didn't have to go into that huge black castle.

We began our walk to the door. I noticed by quick count that there were ten guards outside on either side of the dirt walkway we were on. As the palace got closer I noticed that the outside of the palace was completely black. Not a speck of brightness anywhere. Fitting.

Ray and I linked elbows as we walked, I put on my "normal girl" facade and began pointing to various flowers in the garden, dresses the other guests who made their way inside were wearing, and the gigantic looming castle ten feet away. It surprised me, how many masks I was wearing lately. Funny how they felt so similar to the one now resting on my face.

So physical... so heavy.

Just like the mask I wore now, all the emotional ones I had worn lately hid who I really was inside.

A beast ready to destroy all the evil in this vicious world.

Starting with the king.

The king who stood outside greeting his people.

The king who smiled as I approached him.

The king who winked directly at me.