Chapter Seventeen

"You all may come out now." Teylie called out.

I scrambled out from under the bed and recoiled as I saw the faces of The Tribus'. Their mouths were set in silent screams, their eyes wide with pain... they looked like beautiful women... but I knew they were far from mortal. I circled around them a few times. "How did you..." I began as I tapped one of the sisters elbows. Solid rock.

Teylie, for the first time since I'd known her looked... angry. Looked as though she had a wild fire burning inside her core. "I used Fire Powder from the plant of Iraus Ignis. I keep some in my apron pocket for emergencies. It has an older magic... unknown to all but the Magi. I unlocked it to burn The Sisters from the inside out."

I swallowed as I peered around to look at on of The Sisters. That was pain in her stone eyes... unimaginable pain.

"Are you sure you're not part dragon, Teylie?" Ray asked with an awe inspired whistle.

She looked over at him, her face blank and saddened.

Apollo walked over to her and rested his hand on her shoulder. He leaned in and whispered something to her so softly, I could not hear it. A tear slid down Teylie's cheek. I looked over at Ray and found him examining one of the Sisters closely.

He looked to me and raised his eyebrows, shaking his head he mouthed, wow.

I nodded, then turned back to find Apollo wiping tears from Teylie's cheek. He smiled softly down at her. She side smiled up at him. And I knew what emotion was floating between them. Unspoken, unseen by their blind eyes, but, there was love between them. I smirked at Ray and tilted my head towards them, silently telling him to look.

Ray glanced subtly over at them and rolled his eyes. When he looked back to me he opened his mouth and pretended to vomit. I covered my mouth and cleared my throat to cover up the chuckle climbing it's way up my stomach.

When I looked back to Apollo and Teylie, they were glancing at Ray and me with a raised eyebrow and smirks plastered on their lips. Apollo snickered, "Get a room, will you?"

I gaped at him, "What? It's you guys who need a room! Not us!"

Everyone erupted into snickers. It surprised me... how easy it was for me to laugh. But, part of me knew, deep down... our future did not hold laughs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teylie had cleaned up The Sisters... she "cleaned" them up by tossing them into the sea with the help of Ray.

I had watched from the shack window. Apollo and I now sat on the floor of the shack playing a game while Ray went to look for food. Teylie was sitting alone on the shore.

"Okay. Now, take your top card and flip in over at the same time I do." Apollo explained as he flipped his card over.

I flipped mine and growled as his card was a higher number. "Darn." I spat as he collected his two new cards.

He smirked up at me, "Are you a sore loser, Raven dear?"

I stared blankly at him, "No I am not... I don't like to lose... but I'm not sore about it."

He raised an eyebrow as he flipped his card over. I flipped mine then too. A three. I whimpered as he took my pitiful card away. He looked at me, his face plainly saying "really? You're not a sore loser?"

I stuck my tongue out at him as I flipped my next card. "So," I said as he took away that card too. "You and Teylie... do you..."

"No." He said sternly.