Chapter 19

Daniel shakes hands with Nathan and as they leave, Maria whispers a 'thank you'. I smile back at her sympathetically and as soon as that door shuts, I turn back to my mate.

"How is this any different to when Randall asked you for his help? You agreed without hesitation." I accuse.

Daniel clearly rolls his eyes, being tired of my constant arguments.

"Randall is my friend. Nathan is my enemy." He looks like he's explained this to me 100 times.

"You don't have friends." I argue my case.
"And it's probably because you're not nice to people like you weren't nice to Nate today. Would it hurt to be a friendly, good and kind person?"

"That's a weakness, Rem, the sooner you understand that the better. And in an Alpha position there is no room for weakness."

"That's not true." I put my hand on his face. "Feel that? It's our mate bond. And see how damn strong that is? It's keeping me in this pack, without it I would have come back to my parents, yet I chose to stay with my abductor. That is how strong it is." I explain. "And this bond wasn't created through pretending to be tough, brutal and emotionless. It's made through emotions that you're trying to hide from yourself and everyone else."

He locks eyes with me, meeting my hand on his face by holding it. He stares at me for a few seconds, and just when I think he's going to kiss me, he escapes the trance.

"Good job you're my friend too then, isn't it?" He chooses to ignore my speech.

I sigh, moving that hand down to rest against his chest. "I'm more than that."

"So, someone has a little bit of debt to pay off." He reminds me of the deal we practically made, moving his hand past my lower back and onto my butt.

"About that." I begin. "Last night-"

"Was nothing like you've ever imagined. I know." He interrupts, his egocentrism showing through.

"And to get good at something, it usually takes practice. How much of it did you need before you got it perfect?" I ask.

"I'm a fast learner." He tries telling me he hasn't slept with that many girls. "So you agree... It was nothing like you've ever imagined." He raises his brow playfully. But frankly I wasn't in much of a mood for games.

"I'm serious. It may have been... Good... But it means you've had years of experience."

"Or I'm naturally great at it."

I roll my eyes, moving away from him. Daniel - seeing this reaction - sighs loudly.

"You know what previous lifestyle I had. Why is it still on your mind?" He asks, hugging me from behind.

"Because old habbits sometimes are hard to get rid of."

"Why would I settle for rubies when I've had diamond?" He asks me.

I turn to face him again, letting his hands wrap around me.

"Because enough rubies can overweigh the worth of a diamond." I look into his eyes.

"You are better than a diamond though, you're a mate and that's something nothing can overweigh. Please stop worrying about it." He thinks for a moment before talking.