Chapter nine

Skylar

 I was sitting on my papa's lap, when a boy came in. He was easily the handsomest boy i have ever laid eyes on. But there was a little something extra, like a spark. "This is going to be your Alpha one day, his name is Mark. His mom, and dad thought it best that the next Betta and the next alpha become friends." My papa had said. 

 Looking at the boy, I could tell he would be a trouble maker, but my papa was never wrong, so why not become friends with this boy. I hop of my papa's lap, and walked over to him. "Hi! My name is Skylar, and it would be a pleasure to become your friend."  He looked up at me, and the smile that light his face was so bright, that it practically knocked me of my feet.

 "You have a pretty name." He had said, I blushed a pretty pink, and smiled at him. I heard my momma, and papa laughing. But I didn't think about it, I was after all only six. We walked out of my house, and stopped on the porch.

"Can you shift yet, Mark?" I asked him, normally wolves shift at about age five, but others not so much. I shifted exactly on my fifth birthday. Momma, and papa said I had a very pretty coat. It was light brown, with black tips, and I had white socks. I made a joke about it. Saying all I needed was a pair of shoes, to look human. 

 Hopefully he can, cause I would love to run in the woods. "Of course I can! I'll do it right now. Just you wait and see." He stopped his rant and looked up at me. He seemed to want me to say, No I believe you, you don't have to shift. I just folded my arms, and stared at him. 

 He puffed out a sigh. "oh! Alright, I can't do it. Every time I try my father is there just staring. It makes me nervous, and then I can't do it. He thinks i will shame the family by not shifting. I don't want to make him mad." He seemed so sad, that I grabbed him in a hug.

"Okay mark, let's try something. I will shift into my wolf, and then try and call out yours. My Papa said that all Betta wolves, have some control over the Alpha wolf, or the Alpha would go stark raving mad or something. Maybe I could try to call yours out." I smiled at him, and he looked so lost that I kissed his cheek, something my Momma does to Papa when he seems to be sad. 

"I guess there's nothing to loose." I thought, about her. My wolf had a tendency to be shy around others. I thought about her fur, and then I thought about how we run and the way we can out distance the fastest warrior of our pack. I felt the change take place, and let it happen. 

 I opened my eyes, and saw him. He was beautiful. I shook out my fur, and sat down. I looked him in the eyes, and motioned my head to the ground. Hoping he'd take the hint and sit. He did. I face him, and put my paws on his hands, and brought forth my wolf. She glanced at his face and told me what to do. I had to speak these words in Latin, Come forth Alpha wolf, you are needed. 

So I closed my eyes, and whispered. "egressus alpha lupus, vos sunt opus." I felt his body shake, and a startled gasp came out of his mouth. I backed away, he would need his space. His body became encased in a golden light, and within seconds, his body was that of a wolf. I looked him up and down. He was all black, except for a white sock. An excited yip came from my mouth, and I pounced on him.

 He looked up at me in awe. "We'll always be the best of friends wont we?" I said yes, and we took off to have fun. I was happy for a time, and that's the way I kept it. We became inseparable after that. Were ever he was I was right there with him, and were ever I was he was there. I felt so loved, and the day it changed was when I turned ten, and had to leave for school. I was sad, and didn't want to him. He had become my rock, and I his. How where we going to survive without each other?