Chapter 19

“Ewwwww.”  The disgust was evident in the boyish voice that cut through the silence.  Saskia and Ferrer broke apart to find Darryn had come in search of them.  “That’s gross.”  Ferrer looked Saskia in the eye, his grin wide, before putting an arm around her waist and pulling her close.

            Saskia turned to Darryn, scrunching her nose while she giggled.  “That, my little friend, is a matter of opinion. ”

            Darryn wrinkled his nose up in disgust and shuddered.  “I don’t care what you say.  It’s still gross.”

            Ferrer laughed.  “Did you come here for a reason or just to lecture us on the unpleasantness of kissing?”

            All hint of disgust dropped from the boy’s face, as he remembered why he had come in the first place and he took on an air of boyish seriousness.  “I came to get you two.  Sheriff Riley wants you to come quick as you can.  Miss Doe’s woke up.  He and Kalysta went ahead.  They’ll meet us there.”

            Shock hit both of them like a wave of frigid air and it was all Ferrer could do to keep standing.  He might’ve stood there forever if it hadn’t have been for Saskia who tugged on his arm, dragging him from the prison.

            “Come on, Fer.  She’s awake.  Let’s hurry up and go make sure she’s okay.”  The three of them ran from the dark, dusty jailhouse.  Darryn led the way towards a small hut on the other side of the town square.

The strong cement walls were topped by a thatched roof and various herbs and healing plants hung from the roof of a shelter that backed up the little hut.  As they neared the entrance, the smells of lavender, chamomile, and rosemary danced out on a soft breeze to meet them.  Darryn didn’t hesitate for a moment before pushing the door open to lead them all into a dimly lit room.  They paused just inside after passing over the threshold, allowing their eyes to adjust to the dim shadows that surrounded them.

“Ferrer, is that you?” croaked a weak, female voice.  Ferrer jumped when he heard it and stumbled across the room towards the voice.

“Doe!” he shouted past the lump in his throat that had suddenly formed.  As his eyes finally adjusted to the dimly lit room, he was able to make out his sisters form laying on a cot in front of him.  He closed the last couple of feet between them and knelt at her side, grabbing ahold of her hand with both of his.  Tears fell down his face, for the second time that morning, and he buried his face in the mattress.  “Oh, Doe, please forgive me,” he sniffled.

Her raspy chuckle filled the quiet in the room.  “Whatever for, silly?  I should be thanking you for saving my life and helping bring beautiful little Vanessa into the world.  You and Miss Eirenia saved my life.”  She gestured to the middle aged brunette that stood on the far side of the room, adding various herbs to the boiling water that sat over the flames.

Pushing a stray lock of hair back into the messy bun gathered at the base of her neck, she straightened and turned towards her charge.  “Nonsense, Miss Doe.  I only used the talents the good Lord gave me.  I only provided a compress to keep out infection and herbal tea to fight fever and reduce your pain.  You were the one who fought to remain with us and as I’m sure you can see by the reception you’re receiving, it was worth the fight.”  She turned back to the fire and stirred the leaves before removing the kettle from the flames and placed it too cool on the small, worn table in the corner of the kitchen.

Doe smiled at the modest healer.  “Well, regardless of how hard I fought, if you hadn’t used your herbs to prevent infection and lower the fever, I’d likely be dead by now.  So, I thank you for all you’ve done.”  A sniffle from the mattress, brought her attention to her brother.  “Ferrer, what’s the matter?”