Chapter 10

"WHAT!" the two girls erupted. Frightened by the sudden, loud outburst from the women and the outright anger etched on Saskia’s face, the boy made a move back, preparing to flee if necessary.  He did not want to be the messenger they shot.

Kalysta recovered from the shock faster than her companion.  “What do you mean he’s in prison?” she inquired.

“And to be hung?!?  What’d he do?  Ferrer wouldn’t hurt a fly,” Saskia spat defiantly.  Her dark eyebrows lowered, hovering menacingly over her chocolate eyes that sparked with deep umber.

“Um…w-well, I really shouldn’t say and it’s getting really dark now.  I-I think I should probably go now,” the boy murmured, moving away as subtly as possible.  He had just moved to turn and run, when Saskia leapt forward, snatching his arm.  He struggled to get free, but her iron grip kept him pinned.

“Kid,” she hissed through gritted teeth, shaking him.  “You’d better tell me what you know before I—“

“Stop it, Sask,” Kalysta yelled in a tone that demanded obedience.  “You’re hurting him.  He just told you what you wanted to know about where Ferrer was.  It’s not his fault the man’s in jail.  Don’t take it out on him.”  She moved forward and pried her friend’s hands from the boys arm.  Once free, he moved several feet from the two, but did not turn to flee just yet.  These two women intrigued him.

“B-but…He’s…I…” Saskia sputtered, her words tumbling over themselves.

Hand on her hip, Kalysta raised one eyebrow, narrowing an unamused expression at her companion.  “But nothing, Saskia.  The boy didn’t do a thing to you, but answer your question.  He probably doesn’t even know why Ferrer is in prison.  You need to learn to control yourself.  I know you’re upset, but really, he’s just a boy.  Give him a break.”

Saskia stared at Kalysta, her angry eyes boring into her.  With nostrils flaring, she took several deep breaths, chest heaving in frustration.  The two stayed with eyes locked for several minutes until finally Saskia heaved a big sigh, rolling her eyes.

“You’re right,” she admitted, “I need to control my temper.  I just…I can’t believe he’s in jail.  I mean, I know when I left last we weren’t on the best of terms, but he definitely wasn’t a criminal.  I don’t understand.  I just thought…”  Her voice trailed off and she let her fall to the ground.  In moments, Kalysta had crossed the open space between them and wrapped her arms around her friend.

“You thought what?” she inquired.  Hooking a finger under Saskia’s chin, she raised her friend’s chin until their eyes were looking directly into each other.  “Thought what?”

“Nothing,” she replied.

“Uh-uh.  Don’t give me that.  What were you going to say?”  Leveling another formidable glare at her friend, Saskia caved.

“Alright, alright.  I’ll tell you.  Just…Don’t judge me.  Okay?  I’m not proud of what I did or how I acted, but I can’t take it back.  I was young and stupid, but mostly I was scared and didn’t trust God enough to know He’d take care of me.”  Taking a deep breath, she let it out in a rush.  “I’d like to think that I’ve changed since then.”

Kalsyta did not say a word, but merely waited patiently for her friend to say more.  Intrigued, the boy stepped silently closer to the two, careful to avoid drawing attention to himself.

Saskia dropped her eyes back to the ground, staring intently at the dusty road as if it held all the answers. “When I was telling you about Ferrer before, at Old Maiara’s, I wasn’t completely honest with you about everything that happened.  I know I said we grew apart as the years went by, which is true, kind of.  You see, I may have helped that along a little bit.”