Chapter 4

“WHERE IS SHE?” the deep voice seethed.  Turning to the two other soldiers, hatred glared from Conor’s eyes.  “How can one little peasant girl disappear?  Four grown men couldn’t chase her down and now not a single scrap of a trail in the forest.  And the two idiots working with me cannot even find her in the village?  How can a stupid peasant girl,” he spit out, “outwit the king’s best men?”

            The men were gathered around a small table in a private room they had rented in the village inn.  They had reserved all three rooms on the top floor so they did not have to worry about anyone bothering them, but they still spoke in hushed voices, even when arguing.

            Corwyn ran a hand through his dark brown hair with a sigh.  “It’s not like we haven’t been trying.  I mean, we’ve searched everywhere.  We can’t just come outright and ask about her.  That would bring up too much suspicion.  You don’t want anyone to suspect anything do you?”

            “Of course not, imbecile.  That’s what got us in this mess to begin with, someone who knows too much.  We have to be discreet, but make no mistake.  I want her found if I have to tear this village apart, house by house.  She’s too much of a danger,” Conor growled.  He paced back and forth in the small room, glaring at his two incompetents.  The fiercest of glares he reserved for Aric.

The young man was the youngest and newest member of their group, having proved himself greatly since being transferred to the King’s Men.  What Conor didn’t understand was how someone that had proved himself over and over again before joining them could be so completely useless now?  He had seen the boy in action countless times.  He not only had the skills to achieve any task put before him, but he also had the wits and cunning to do it well.  However, since joining the Elite Squad, the best and brightest of the King’s Men, he could not seem to get anything right.

            Turning his attention to the young soldier, who was looking particularly interested in a broken tile on the floor, he bellowed, “Aric!”

Aric jerked his head up quickly, his shaggy brown hair brushing across his forest green eyes.  He feigned that he had been paying attention. “Yes, Sir!”

“I know there is more going on in that head of yours.  How can we find her?” Conor questioned.

Looking genuinely baffled, he responded,“I wouldn’t know, sir.  We’ve looked everywhere.  She’s not in the village--at least, not anywhere obvious.  Of course, if I was hiding from someone, I highly doubt I’d put myself where I would be noticed.  I would hide out with good friends or family.  And if she told anyone about what she overheard, the whole village would be abuzz with it.”  A faint smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.  “Villagers never were good at keeping anything quiet.  There’s almost as much gossip flying around in a village this size as there is in the servant’s quarters in the palace.”

Swiping a lock of black hair behind his ear, Conor considered the young man’s words.  “Hmm…interesting idea, Aric.  Corwyn, I want you and Aric to go shopping this afternoon.  Hang out in the market, picking up the gossip.  Inquire after any information regarding the girl.  If she’s in the village, Aric is right in saying that the villagers would know of it.  We just have to listen for one of them to give her away.  Stay in the marketplace gathering gossip and information about the girl or her family until you find something or until dusk.

“Lex will be back with the reinforcements by tonight.  We’ll house them in the other inn, so they don’t make us look conspicuous.  If we don’t find her by tonight, we’ll have the soldiers search all of the houses in this village for her.  I don’t think anyone would dare hide someone accused of stealing from His Highness.  Do you?”