Chapter 6

Despite her light colored features, the girl looked every bit a gypsy from her brightly colored clothing to the gold jewelry that tinkled around her as she walked.  Saskia had outfitted her with several small knives.  While two knives were displayed obviously with their beautifully carved hilts shown proudly on each hip, several other small daggers were hidden on her person.  Two in each boot, one down the outside of each and another that could be pulled out from the front tip of the soles. 

            Saskia had presented her with a bodice dagger and another small blade that she hid in a leather case between her shoulder blades.  But, Kalysta was most greatly pleased when her friend had given her a beautifully made golden hair clip, engraved with etchings of rose bushes.  Small red gemstones had been cut to look like petals and were encrusted to create the illusion of roses on vines.  Saskia put the clip in her hair and the blonde girl admired the way it looked.  With a sly smile, Saskia reached up and pushed the gems that formed the centermost rose.  They both watched as the golden leaf that was on the right side of the clip popped loose.  With a flourish, the dark haired girl reached up and pulled free a small dagger.  Kalysta gasped in amazement at the cleverly made hair clip.  While the piece was most definitely beautiful, this secret feature was the one that most delighted her.

            Once Saskia had properly outfitted her companion with weapons, she showed her how to quickly and expertly draw them in the case of an attack.  "Now, listen closely.  If you're being attacked by someone bigger than you, you will be at a disadvantage.  They will most likely take away your obvious weapons first, so it is vital that you know how to use the secret daggers you're wearing.  And, keep them a surprise until the last moment, right before you need to use it.  This will enable you to be able to strike before they even know that you're still armed.  I want you to practice with your weapons every chance you get."  She took a deep breath, sighed, and let a sad smile settle over her face.  "But, right now, we need to get a move on.  We won't be welcomed here much longer.  I guess we're both outsiders now."

Her mind wandered over the memory of the last couple of hours and the pain that she felt at being disowned by her people and even her own father.  Marime, being disowned and cast out from the tribe, was the greatest punishment for a gypsy—worse than death, in her opinion, since the person had to live with the guilt and shame of their punishment.  According to gypsy law, she was now an outsider, unclean and below the tribe’s notice or concern.  Her friends and her family would shun and disown her, not even to aid her if she was in a deadly situation.  She had never felt so alone in her life before.  Pursing her lips, she swiped a hand across her eyes, turning away to hide her face from her companion.

            Kalysta saw the emotion and pain on Saskia’s face before she turned away.  Without hesitation, she got up and pulled her friend into her arms, patting her back comfortingly and murmuring, "Hey, now.  It's okay.  I'm sorry that I brought this on you.  I didn't know or I would have never come."  She felt wet drops fall on her arm.

            "Bf, wy won pu foo tum.  Wy nodnin weave pu awfdare wone," came the muffled reply as Saskia burrowed her face deep into Kalysta's shoulder.  The blonde girl fell silent for a moment and then couldn't help it.  She burst into giggles at the nonsensical reply.  It only took a couple of seconds before she heard a sniffle and echoing giggles coming from the girl on her shoulder.  She pulled Saskia up to face her and wiped the tears off her face.

            With a smile, she prompted, "Would you like to try that again with some normal words?"  They both giggled and Saskia pulled herself together, wiping her face on a nearby rag.  She smiled and took a step back from her companion.

            "Sorry.  I said, but I wanted you to come.  I would never leave you out there alone.  Especially not with those guys chasing you.  I knew the rules but chose to break them anyway.  Partly because I just wanted to rebel against my father, but mostly because I believed it was more important to help you than to follow the law.  The law was made for a reason and normally I would see should always be followed, but sometimes...sometimes, there should be exceptions.  Sometimes, people are more important than the law."  She finished this last sentence with some grit to her words and a fierce expression.  She stood there staring at Kalysta for a time, until she seemed to realize where she was and shook her head.  A smile replaced her previously stony expression.