•• 17 ••

"Sarah, stop playing with your food. Eat it." Mom said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I took a deep breath as I tried to prepare myself for this.

I had decided last night that I'd ask them about everything. Everything that Trevor left unsaid last night.

What did I not know? What was the thing everyone was hiding from me.

"Mom, Dad. I want to ask you both something." I said.

"Yeah, sure. What is it?" Mom said, I felt her leaning forward to show that I have her full attention.

"But first, you have to promise me you'll speak the truth."

"We will. Surely." Dad reassured, smilingly. He was probably thinking I was about to ask another childish question.

They didn't know how much I had grown up in these three months. I wasn't the same weak, vulnerable, clumsy, childish and foolish person anymore.

I had changed now.

"Have you people been hiding something from me? I mean, something about my birth?" As I said this, I heard a gasp. "Something concerning Trevor?"

"No darling. How can we hide something from y-" Mom was cut off by Dad who smacked his hand on the table.

"What did he tell you?" Dad asked, his voice laced with fury.

"He didn-" I said.

"Stop defending him!" Dad growled.

For the first time he was this angry at me. Never in my life had I seen this side of dad.

"I should have known this, when he kidnapped you, when he asked you to dance with him. Everything. I should have kept you away from him." Dad growled and my heart clenched as I heard his words

He knew everything about us. He knew that Trevor was the one who kidnapped me. He must also know Trevor had shot him and he had known he was a criminal.

But if he knew I was kidnapped, why did he not come or at least send anyone to bring me back back home?

"I should have known that he'd give you those scars you had when you ended up in the hospital," my eyes widened as dad said that.

He misunderstood that part. He should have used his brain to know that I got scars because I could not see anything and I bumped into a million things.

"Dad, he did not hurt me-" I said but I was cut off again.

"Do not defend him, Sarah. I know what he did. He first shot me, and then he hurt you. And he left you beaten in a forest-"

"HE DID NOT DO ANY OF THIS!" I screamed, surprised at my loud voice. But what surprised me even more was that I was misbehaving with my Dad. "He barely touched me, dad. You think he hurt me, but he did not. Instead, he protected me. He even cut off with his gang because of me. And he apologized for kidnapping me that night at Mr. Watson's party. He even apologized for shooting you."

"But how did-wait! What did he blackmail you for to say all of this to me?"

"No, he did not blackmail me. Even if he had, I would not have been scared to tell the truth." I sighed.

"Now tell me, what is it that you people have been hiding from me all my life?" I finally came up to my question.

Both of my parents stayed silent. I could feel that Dad was embarrassed.

This led to a pang of guilt in my chest. He said all of that because he cared for me.

"Trevor and his parents saved your life when you were born." Mom spoke up.

"What?" I ask, confused by what she just said.

"Sarah, when you were still in my womb, you were diagnosed with many disabilities," she continued. "Alec Scofield, being the best eye specialist of the state, called in for all the other best doctors who could help us with your case and cured almost all the disabitlites of your birth. The problem which Alec Scofield had to solve was that of your eyes. He tried his best but nothing happened. Unlike your other disabilities, you were blind genetically and there was nothing anyone could do about it."

She took in a deep breath and continued.

"This problem could be solved only if your brain was connected to that of another person close to your age. And that person had to go through a lot of pain by that." She paused. "So Alec brought Trevor. The doctors also said that there had been something weird when they connected your optical nerves. They didn't explain that.

"Alec saw his son go through a lot of pain, but he did that only for his best friend and also to put up with the guilt that he could not do anything about your eyesight. We took you to many eye specialists and doctors to actually check if everything was alright."

My eyes had welled up right now. I finally believed that I really was blind, to my own self, my own past.

And I understood what weird meant. A weird connection between our brains, that affected our optical nerves, and due to which I could see him.

"Hey! Before this that I get stuck in more ambiguities, you are blind, but answer me honestly, how the hell can you see me?" he had said.

This meant that he did not know about it when I got kidnapped. He got to know after that.

"Trevor went through a lot of pain, even though he was only one year old. Your father could not say or do anything to him for being a criminal because he owed him your life. So he took his chance when he got to know that his girlfriend has murdered someone and she was sentenced to death."

Dad did a lot wrong to him but he still apologized at the party for shooting him, for kidnapping me, for everything.

He had the right to hurt me physically and emotionally but he did not.

He respected me enough that I did not deserve the punishment of my father's wrongdoings.

Respect. Something more important than love. Something without which, love is incomplete. Something without which, everything is incomplete. Even enemies deserve to be respected.

"I hate you dad. I hate you so much. I hate you both!" I said with flooded eyes and ran out of the kitchen, to my room.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

A/N: Bam!!!! How did you like the bomb *laughs evilly*. I had been waiting for so long to publish this chapter and there you go!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I don't know if it's actually possible to fix a mental disability by connecting your brain to someone near your age but since it's fiction, anything is possible here.

Oh, and I wanted to say ImmortalSoul51 comments make me laugh so much.