1. The Letter

So here we go, the first chapter of Gifted! I hope you guys like it!

Alexis' P.O.V

Hello Miss Martinez,

I'm writing you to let you know you've been selected for a scholarship at Dr. Lawrence High. You'll be living at the school, everything is included. Your room is ready for you and we can't wait to have you with us. We know you won't let us down, you're very special. If you wonder why you've been chosen, I suggest you look at the attachment. 

See you soon,

Dr. Lawrence

Staring at the letter in my hands is all I could do. The words don't make sense to me, it's so ridiculous. Why would anyone want me? Everywhere I go, I bring trouble with me. You're very special... See you soon... Those words keep repeating in my head, I couldn't figure out what iss special about me, except the trouble, and that isn't something which helps you to get a scholarship.

Of course I could look at the attachment, but I'm scared. Maybe I don't want to know or am I afraid to lose it once I do know? My eyes flash from the letter to the attachment. Without even realizing it, I have the attachment in my hands and begin scanning the text. 

My eyebrows rise while reading the words, this is even weirder than the letter itself. I try reading the hole thing without interruptions, so I don't have time to doubt anything. Under the short explanation stand instructions, that I need to follow to get my proof. It couldn't harm to try it out, right? 

I sit back and read the instructions. After a few times of reading the hole thing, I try to do exactly what is written in the text. The first time, absolutely nothing happens, but I really want to know what would happen if it did work, so I try it again. Step by step I do everything again, this time when I open my eyes, I scream very loud and bump with my head against the wall.

A few minutes long I stare at my hands, I just couldn't believe what I've seen. Very carefully I've touched the places where it happened, but it feels normal. It couldn't disappear like that, that isn't possible. Not that what happened is possible, but still. There shouldn't come light out of the palms of my hands, not even blue-greenish light. Even tough it couldn't happen, it does. 

 Loud knocking wakes me from my thoughts, it is Jeanette.

'Alexis honey, is everything alright?' she asks with a worried tone. 

'Yes Jeanette, I'm good. There was a big spider and it scared me. I think I've killed it, so there's nothing to worry about.'

I hear footsteps, which means that Jeanette has left and I am alone again. My hands are lying on my lap, still looking completely normal. Just to be sure I don't imagined it, I try it again. As soon as I open my eyes, I see the blue-greenish light coming out of my hands. It's still creepy, but I'm getting used to it. 

The lights disappear and I let myself fall on my bed. It takes a lot of energy to do that, more than I've expected. My eyes feel heavy, so I close them. It doesn't takes long before I've fallen asleep. I dream about the lights, the high school and how my room iss going to be like. 

When I wake up, the letter and attachment are still lying next to me. Suddenly I remember something about the colors of the light and which powers are related to them. As quickly as I could, I grab the attachment and look up the colors blue and green. I don't know the exact color, so I look at both. Blue and green combined is even an option, so lucky me I guess. I bite my lip softly when I see what the combination means, controlling the elements.

At first I couldn't imagine that all of those powers exist, there are so many of them. How could they put all those people in one school? Or are powers rare and only so few people have them that one person has an unique power that nobody else has. There's only one way to find out and that is by going to Dr. Lawrence High. Not that it's a choice, but my curiosity makes it a bit better. I really want to know about other people who are gifted, just like me. In the attachment stands that they don't call it having powers at the high school, but when someone has powers, he is gifted.