Thirty

Before I opened my eyes I knew she was there

Before I opened my eyes I knew she was there. At some point during the night I felt her come onto the floor with me but thought nothing of it as I drifted back to sleep. Now the next morning I awoke feeling her arm around me, her breasts against my back, and her cheek on my shoulder.

         Cree was holding me.

I inched away, feeling too tight inside to allow her to continue cuddling with me. Only, once I moved, she moaned and moved with me, holding me tighter.

It was too much for my pride and I gently and carefully got out from her grasp and stood from the floor. Cree lay there, her scarf becoming loose and her arm stretched out from where she'd been holding on to me, her other arm was secured against her chest.

She was beautiful.

I guess it was true what they said about love being friendship set on fire, because standing there, staring at her, knowing she'd more than likely move heaven and earth for me if I asked her to, I knew without a doubt that I was in love with her.

Fuck.

This was not the time to dwell on feelings. One look at my phone told me I'd had no missed calls or texts and that it was nine fifteen.

In the bathroom connected to Cree's bedroom, I quickly and quietly washed my face and brushed my teeth with a new toothbrush I found on the bathroom shelf. A glimpse in the mirror found a rather pathetic and drained version of myself. It all used to be so simple, and now, it was so fucked up.

There was no time to sit and think about what was, I had to get home.

Cree was still asleep on the floor in her room, making my getaway easy.

I stepped into my shoes and made my way to the door.

I had just cracked it open when I heard a stir from behind me.

"You were just going to leave?" Her voice gave away how tired she was. Turning around and facing her, I found her rubbing sleep from her eyes as she leaned up on one arm.

"I really have to go, Cree," I said.

Cree nodded and stood up. "Okay, let's just wash up first."

"Let's?" I repeated.

"Yeah, me and you."

There was no way I was dragging her into my mess.

"No, I already did. You're going to stay here and I'm going to go."

Cree rolled her eyes. "Whatever, Dre. Just let me get ready."

She wasn't getting it.

Cree crossed over to her bathroom and I stood back while she washed her face and brushed her teeth. I listened to the sound of her as I stood there, taking it all in. Of course she wanted to be there for me, of course.