Nine

I came downstairs Friday night ready to go on whatever adventure DeAndre and the boys were dragging me on

I came downstairs Friday night ready to go on whatever adventure DeAndre and the boys were dragging me on. The other boys were excited and had teased that I would probably punk out, letting me know I was in for something I would not forget.

         It was Friday and I'd only made up with the boys Monday, yet it hadn't taken long for things to fall into place. One minute I couldn't stand guys like Tremaine, the next I couldn't stop laughing with him in class. I wasn't okay with the way he chewed through girls, but I was getting used to him, enough to where we could have full fledge conversations by ourselves or on the phone.

People definitely noticed that there was a new edition to the Ballas' lunch table and entourage. Guys looked at us strangely and a lot of girls shared the same sentiment that Troiann and I were just a couple of kept jump-offs.

The boys were oblivious, lost in their own world of playing ball and having fun. I tried to be just as indifferent, but I could still feel myself being watched whenever I was with the boys.

I didn't let the fact faze me or ruin my mood as I headed for the den where my father and Loraine were watching TV.

My father was sitting back in his chair and enjoying a cold beer while Loraine sat beside him in her own chair grading papers.

My father turned, noticing me. He checked the clock on the wall and looked back to me. "Where are you going dressed like that?"

I briefly glanced down at the black polka dotted mini dress I was wearing. The small hint of cleavage and the fact that the dress hugged my body must've alarmed my father. "I'm just going out with Troiann and the guys."

"Oh— Wait, what guys?"

So I hadn't exactly told my father that I was now best buds with the Ballas' Club, I hadn't ever brought boys up period, but now I knew he was that type of father. The no-boys-allowed type of father figure.

"Just a few guys from school, they're on the sports teams and they do a lot of volunteer work around school."

My father slit his eyes. "And you're going out like that?"

I shrugged innocently. "What's wrong with it? Loraine picked it out."

Loraine glanced up from her papers and looked to my father. "She looks cute, Mack, let her be."

My father visibly pouted. "Have you eaten today, Cree? You're getting a little on the skinny side."

I gritted my teeth. There was nothing "skinny" about me. I wasn't fat or even thick, but I wasn't a size two or could pass for anorexic. My father was just saying that because he was about to get on me about dancing again. "Yes, Dad, I ate a whole dinner at work, fried chicken oughta fatten me up."

He smirked. "How much dancing did you do this week? I think it's been enough. You don't want to overexert yourself."

Loraine sighed and put her papers aside. "Mack, please, let her have her fun. She doesn't dance too much, she spends just as much time at school, work and with Troiann as she does dancing."