Twenty-five

After Hours was packed

After Hours was packed. Moorehead kids were everywhere, as well as the local university's students. There was no drama. Everyone was in the mood for a good time. Drinks were flowing, the music was decent and I was living it up with my people.

         Chris sat laidback at some table talking to a blonde. DeAndre and Draya were boo'd up in a booth talking by themselves. They were all being boring.

Out on the dance floor Troiann and I were dancing with Marcus and Tremaine. An old TLC song was playing. Troiann danced into Marcus while I grinded my hips into Tremaine as he held onto my waist, all the while Troiann and I were singing the lyrics to "No Scrubs" at the top of our lungs. Marcus had his face twisted up, not liking the diss and I could only assume Tremaine's face registered the same expression.

"And we don't want no pigeons," Tremaine leaned down to whisper in my ear.

"Boy, 'bye, I got my own, I don't need you," I told him.

"I got a car, I got money, and I don't even have a job."

I turned around, still dancing on him. "On second thought, I'll take all of that."

He laughed and his grasp on my waist tightened.

I loved Tremaine. I really did. What we had was something special. It was funny, without him, I wouldn't be where I was, with the Ballas. It was him who had annoyed me that day I went against DeAndre. And it was him who I had fallen for hard. There were so many things I didn't like about Tremaine, but the one thing that made it tolerable was the fact that he owned who he was. I loved that about him. He knew he wasn't the type to wife a chick or fall in love, and I liked that he wasn't interested in relationships because of it. He was my best friend and despite how flirty we could be, we both knew at the end of the day that we were friends, good friends, and nothing more.

It was never awkward with Tremaine, especially after what happened in Florida. He looked at me the same way I looked at him. He would hug me if he saw me or hold me if we were watching TV or a movie together, but it was all friendly. I loved that about our relationship, there was an obvious line, an obvious distinction of who and what we were. It wasn't complicated or hard and I loved that most.

"You got two more songs then I'm taking you home, Troy," Marcus said.

Troiann rolled her eyes. "I'll give you a song and a half and I'm taking you home."

Together they seemed extra affectionate. She was even using pet names on him and he couldn't keep his hands off of her.

Taking a quick peek across the club in DeAndre's direction, I frowned. At least some of us had things easy.

"Drunk in Love" came on and it was one of those Beyoncé songs that I liked, but wasn't obsessed with as much as the radio was.

Despite my personal feelings, I got into the groove of the record, just as Omari came over.