Twenty-two

There was once a time when I couldn't wait to get back to school

There was once a time when I couldn't wait to get back to school. But that all ended two weeks before school started. Everything ended two weeks before school started.

         I was getting back from a run and about to work out when my phone rang. My caller ID said it was Draya. When I didn't answer, she called again. There was no avoiding her.

We'd hooked up back in June and nothing had happened since. I could barely remember if the swim had lived up to expectation. I'd been out of it all summer. It was all about my routine: running, working out, and playing basketball. The boys said it was unhealthy, but there was no thinking involved with my routine, and I didn't want to think.

Draya called again, and a look at my screen highlighted a missed voicemail as well.

This was getting irritating.

What did she want?

When she called yet again I lost my patience and picked up the line.

"What?" I snapped.

There was a pause and I could've sworn I heard her catch her breath.

"Draya?" My tone wasn't the nicest, but I wanted to get to the point. Whatever she needed wouldn't matter anyway, in two weeks—

"I was just letting you know I...I think I'm pregnant." Her voice was light, as if she'd been crying, but her words came at me loud and clear. Pregnant. "Sorry to be a bother."

She hung up and my hand fell to my side, my grip on my phone almost loosening.

Pregnant.

Goosebumps prickled across my sweat soaked skin and I felt dizzy enough to pass out.

Pregnant.

No.

This type of thing wasn't possible. I always used a condom, to avoid situations like this, to have fun and not be stupid.

But yet still...

Pregnant.

I didn't want to be a coward, I didn't want to ignore her and pretend that the phone call hadn't happened, because it did, her words kept echoing in my ears, taunting me.

As soon as I showered I forced myself to bullshit with two of Draya's annoying ass friends in order to get her address.

I had to see her, because running away wasn't going to stop the inevitable.

Of all my friends and between Devonte and me, I was the responsible one, and yet I'd gotten a girl pregnant.

The word "think" kept popping up in my head. She'd said she thought she was pregnant, as if she were unsure.