Chapter Twenty-Seven

"You poked a hole in my convict."

Nobody said anything as we gathered just on our side of the border, twenty or so miles out from Malamut, where Hades was waiting to collect Julius's corpse that now lay on a wagon half-covered with an old tarp. I really didn't want to look under it at his cold blue skin and his eyes that I had closed because I couldn't stand the thought of him watching me any more, even in death.

Now it was myself, my father, my siblings, and the Sins all gathered around on our side of the border as we faced Hades and his army. Hades stood beside the wagon carrying Julius's corpse. As always, Hades was truly a sight to behold. Despite being a typical comic book villain, he was devastatingly handsome with long inky black hair that he had draped over one shoulder, bangs side swept over a pair of piercing icy blue eyes. He was decked out in his steel black armor that glinted menacingly in the sunlight that peered between the clouds to watch us make the exchange.

"We were forced to apprehend him by force." Lucifer informed flatly. Hades glanced at him, unamused, before his eyes slid over to me. I remained absolutely still, staring at him as he stared back. Something strange glinted in his eyes. I couldn't quite tell what it was. It was almost like he... understood.

"Well," He said after a moment, looking away as he brushed a hand through his hair before tossing it over his shoulder and putting a hand on his hip, "I guess that solves one of my problems."

"Hades," Lucifer said calmly, making Hades glance at him with a childish look of disdain that oddly suited him, "We are returning Julius to you as you requested. I'm hoping that we can settle this fruitless war right here, right now. We're losing countless men for a reason we're still not sure of." Hades raked him with a less than approving sneer as he turned to face him fully.

"Oh, is that right? This entire time and nobody knows why I'm pissed."

"We assumed it was perpetual PMS."

"I don't like your tone, Lucifer."

"And I don't like you, but we're not here to talk about our affections, Hades. I am asking you to cease this war. We are losing people and we are harming our children. And I know as well as you do that, no matter how angry you are with your children, you can never truly hate them." Lucifer explained calmly. Hades squinted at him, a suspicious sort of look creasing his brow. He said nothing for the longest time and I could tell Thorn was seconds away from bashing him over the head. Jaques was shifting restlessly and Alaric clenching and unclenching his fists. Bali and Wednesday both wore equal scowls of displeasure and Dania was giving Hades a sneer that would give him a run for his money. Obviously my siblings were as amused by this god as Lucifer was, but I found myself unable to hate him.

"Ambrosius is fine, in case you were wondering." I heard myself say after a moment. My siblings looked at me bewildered and Hades stared at me for a moment, then averted his eyes.

"I didn't ask how he was doing."

"No. I just thought you might like to know." I replied. Hades wrinkled his nose. I was still having difficulties wrapping my head around the fact that this god could actually start a war, actually rule an entire realm, and also be one of the most terrifying gods in existence. Excluding the Egyptian god of chaos, Seth, who was one twisted son of a bitch.

"You're asking me to end a war I've been trying to win since the beginning," Hades drawled, leaning on the wagon that creaked beneath his weight, and it made me grimace to see Julius's corpse tilt toward the ground, but Hades paid no mind to it as he placed his other hand on his hip, "A war that I've put a lot of effort and money into. You have idea how much I've put into this."