Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

I woke up to the foreign sensation of comfort.

I was laying on something soft and warm, something plush. It felt like cotton beneath my fingertips, but under my chin it felt like velvet. My whole body felt heavy and sore. I just felt so good that I didn't want to go anywhere. A moment later, my sense of smell returned and a delight so fierce that it brought tears to my eyes spread through me at the warm smell of bread wafting through the air combined with something spicy.

Julius must have ordered a big meal, which meant there'd be more scraps for me to eat.

The vague scent of warm cotton and clean laundry detergent was mingled in there somewhere, and the faintest smell of blood somewhere.

And soon, my hearing zoned back in and my confusion began. I could hear something beeping softly in the background, the sound of air being forced through something. It sounded like someone was breathing through an oxygen mask and it took me a good few minutes to realize that it was me breathing into the oxygen mask. No wonder the air felt so clear and fresh. I had almost thought it was spring time again, that day when Julius had first let me go outside.

My fear mounted, and with it, the beeping sped up. I felt like I was going to hyperventilate.

No... No, no, no, no.

I couldn't be sick again. If I was sick, Julius was going to take away...

That thought passed with a strong sense of deja vu. My confusion interrupted my panic and the beeping mellowed out to a degree. I shifted and I heard the sound of sheets moving with me, and I waited for the familiar jingle of shackles that chimed like a personal alarm clock, but when I heard nothing, my panic returned full force. I felt around under the blankets, and to my horror, I found myself wearing a t-shirt and shorts, made of silk smooth cotton. I touched my wrists, but only felt the ragged scars there from pulling at the shackles. I shifted my legs and rubbed my foot along my ankles, feeling for some sort of shackle there, but there was nothing.

My chest heaved rapidly as I struggled to catch my breath. The oxygen mask now felt suffocating, so I reached a trembling hand blindly over my face and shoved the mask off.

And with it, my vision slowly returned. Instead of staring at the black peaked ceiling of Julius's tent, I was staring at a white paneled ceiling. The walls were made of smooth carved stones. I blinked rapidly and looked at the foot of my bed for a chain of some sort, but there was nothing. The bed dropped off about a foot past my feet and beyond that was a closet with the oak doors pulled shut. I turned my head to the left where a heart monitor and a couple of other strange machines were making soft humming sounds. Beyond that on the far wall was a dresser where my shackles lay in a busted heap. My eyes eventually found the door to the room in a short hallway beside the closet, said door being opened just a smidge to allow the scents of food to waft in.

And suddenly, my entire predicament was forgotten. It didn't matter that I wasn't in Julius's tent, shackled and chained down with only a quilt to keep me warm in this biting winter. It didn't matter that I was somehow clean and dressed again.

My stomach felt like an empty cavern and the need to be filled guided me out of the bed. As if I were in some sort of trance, I carefully pulled the IV out of my arm and tossed aside the sticky cords on my chest, causing the heart monitor to drone a long beep that I swiftly ignored. I stepped out onto a hard wooden floor, then made my way to the door. It was hard to walk for some reason. I suppose I just wasn't used to using my legs that often.

I limped out of the room and stepped into a long gorgeous hallway. I'd come to the conclusion that I was in some sort of stone mansion. The walls made of that same smooth stone layout with a white trim along the wood floors and the white panel ceiling. There were gorgeous modern lamps lining the walls, rectangular with large energy saving bulbs.