Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Summer was horrible.

The sweltering heat made me thankful that I was naked most of the time. I even kicked the blankets off me and I just laid on Julius's bed, trying to enjoy the cool breeze from the open tent. Julius had went around and cut windows into the tent to allow air to pool in, but even the breeze wasn't enough to soothe me.

Sweat soaked the blankets beneath me and I had to pull my hair back from my face, just closing my eyes and trying to distract myself from the heat, but really, there wasn't much I could do. Julius must have noticed that I was reading his books, because he stopped leaving them on the nightstand the other night.

I heard the sound of birds chattering outside, men shouting and yelling as they trained, Julius barking orders. I heard someone started the transport vehicle, a few men bellowing obnoxiously about the heat, and the splash of water that made me ache to bathe in it.

Even worse, since the heat wave struck, I'd lost another twenty pounds. In total, I probably weighed half as much as I did when Julius first captured me. I could feel my ribs now, running my fingers down them to count before I got depressed and just went back to laying in the cool shade of the tent, but even then, it wasn't enough to stop the sweat.

But, at least I would no longer have to look forward to gang rape nights anymore. Everyone was too hot to do anything, and even training was exhausting for the men, so as soon as they were done, they ate and went to bed. I was finally getting a break. Even Julius only did it once a night before he gave up.

I savored this long period of nothingness.

The long sleeping periods, the privacy, the few hours under the sunlight with the mystery novel I'd read at least six times already and never got tired of it. I liked pretending I was one of the characters so I could get away from this darkness. I would make up scenerios where I joined the characters on their epic journeys, what I would do if I were in their position, what if this happened, what if that happened. It was amazing what I could do with one book.

Not that I had one book for very long.

Alexion arrived with another shipment of weapons and supplies. He brought me two packages of crackers and another tiny book.

"This one is a big thicker," Alexion told me as he handed me the tiny book while I sat in the grass, nibbling on the crackers so they would last longer, "It's a classic." I nodded my thanks and took the book, moving back through the grass and sprawling out with the little book. When Alexion didn't leave, I frowned and cocked my head to look at him past the book. He stared at me in a way that made me extremely uncomfortable. I sat back up slowly and shut the book. As if realizing he was making me uneasy, he moved back and averted his eyes. I thought he wanted to say something, but he didn't, so he left me alone with the seven guards again, all of whom were bitching and groaning and insulting me because it was somehow my fault they got stuck with babysitting me.

Good, I wanted to sneer at them. I hope you suffer long and hot and bake in your armor, you shits.

I went back to reading, then buried my book when it was time for me to come back inside. The moment I was undressed, Julius shoved me back on the bed and climbed on top of me. I grimaced at the reeking odor of sweat and blood on him. I could tell he was angry because the heat around me became unbearable. To the point where I was dizzy and sick from it.

Unable to stand it any longer, vomit rose in my throat. I tried to roll over to spill it onto the floor, but Julius shoved me back and the vomit bubbled out of my mouth and I choked on it, feeling it spill down the sides of my face. Julius cursed in disgust, reeling away before shoving me roughly onto the floor where I could finish puking. I gasped for breath, clutching at my stomach. Julius grunted, sliding off the bed and getting to his feet.