Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Thursday evening rolled around quickly. The sun dipped low out in the west as Alice watched while her math book was open on the dining table. Right now hundreds of people were out in traffic trying to get home. At the moment, she had tons of homework to do, and she didn’t really care. Watching the sun go down were one of the things the people here on Earth took for granted. She’ll never understand why something so beautiful can be overlooked by jobs, the news, and money. Just five minutes of peace is all someone needs to enjoy the view.

She sat in the chair crossed legged looking out the sliding door. The tree outside on the clean cut grass had specks of gold on the leaves on top. The clouds were a mix color of pink and purple. You could see on the edge the last bits of sunlight, as if the sun were trying its best to bring the cloud with it. It was something so mysterious yet so beautiful.

Alice looked away to the bottom of the stairs across the room when she heard footsteps. Speaking of mysteriously beautiful she thought when Will came down. His white shirt was nearly un-tucked; his sleeves were rolled up at the elbow, and three buttons were undone, and his black hair was standing on top of his head. Will basically looked like he woke up from a nap.

Will let out a long yawn and leaned on one of the wooden chairs. He looked over at the clock and saw that it was six forty-five. “I’ve slept for two hours, why didn’t you wake me?”

“I was going to, but then remembered your light was on half the night, so I thought you might need the sleep.” She looked back at the homework, but then decided she was done for the evening, even though she still had fifteen more to do.

“Weren’t you hungry?”

Alice shrugged. “I made a grilled cheese sandwich.”

Will looks at the swing door that lead to the kitchen. “If I go in there am I going to see a burnt stove?”

Alice narrowed her eyes. “No, last time I tried to use fire the sandwich turned to char. This time I actually used the stove and nothing was burned.”

Will moved to the door and opened it a slight and peered inside. “Well it seems safe.” He opened the door a bit wider and poked his head in. “And this time you didn’t wet the floor cleaning the dishes.”

When he turns around, Alice splashes him with a large bubble she made from the water she was drinking. His whole shirt was wet and she was clearly able to see his muscles. What she didn’t expect from Will was for him to pick her up and sling her over his shoulder. She kept kicking and giggling for him to let go. Which he did once they were outside, but Will of course runs back inside and locks the door.

Alice bangs on the door a couple of times before giving up and sitting on top of the picnic table. The table sat right outside the house far from the tree that stood across from it. The backyard was fenced with small shrubs and flowers lining it. Encasing Alice in her own little world, so no matter where Alice went whether it was at home in Eden or on Earth there was always something blocking her from the outside world.

Pulling her hair into her hands, Alice starts making herself a braid. She notices the crescent moon was out and there were a lot more stars than usual. She looks to the door and sees Will with a clean red shirt opened at the top but tucked in.

She sees him carrying a radio out and with one of those small discs that make the music. “I managed to not only learn how to work this, but also find a disc that plays the waltz.” He presses a button and soft music comes out. It reminds her of home and the balls her parents threw. Will turns to Alice. “Thought since it was going to be a nice night that we do something nice.” He holds out a hand. “May I have this dance,” he asks smiling.