Chapter Twenty-Seven

When Alice and Will were ambushed in the forest, it frightened Alice for days. Before she never had been attacked directly like that because she was always protected. That is why afterwards she had asked Will to teach her different ways of defending herself. To protect herself if anyone tried to hurt her. But it seems all those lessons did not matter at the sight of Damos. She felt just as helpless as she did then.

Will had his arms wrapped around her, trying to be the shield that could protect her from him. He had a hand on the back of her head and leaning it onto his shoulder almost blocking most of her face from Damos. With his jaw set he says, “You can’t have her.”

“I started a war and came across the universe to take her back; I think I can have her.” He steps off the last step and walks closer to them.

Will gets up and moves Alice behind him. “Get out of here,” He pushes her in the direction of the back door.

Alice does not hesitate and runs to the back door and stops when she hears the two fighting. She turns around and sees that Will was trying to fight Damos.

Damos kicks Will in the chest.

Will falls to the floor a foot away from Damos. He sits up with the aid of Alice. “I’m fine, now go,” Will orders and starts pushing her away.

“Not without you.” Alice shakes her head when she sees the tension on his face. “I am not losing you for being a coward as well.”

Damos cocks his head and looks at them. “Well, now I have one more reason why I should kill you.” He walks up to them and picks Will up by his throat. He slams him into the wall and starts choking him. “We can’t both have her.” He smirks, “I’m not good with sharing.”

Will glares and starts kicking at him. This only prompts Damos to push him more into the wall and tighten his grip.

“Stop!” Alice yells. She looks at Will as her eyes start to water, but tears do not come down and a new fear comes over her. She knew she does not have the strength to create fire, but she does have the strength to create a ball of water and threw it at the back of Damos’ head.

Damos turns his head.

“Leave him alone,” She says firmly.

Damos releases his grip and let’s Will fall on the floor. He turns around and smirks at Alice. He walks up to her and was about to brush his knuckle on her temple, but she turns her face away. Fury sets in his eyes, and he grabs her face. He lowers his face and whispers close to her, “You will treat me with respect.” He tightens his grip on her when she tries to get out of his grasp. He smirks and opens his mouth to say something, but instead crumples onto the floor.

Will stands in front of her with his jaw and fist clenched. He does not wait for her to say anything, and he grabs her wrist and his quiver and bow that was still on the floor. He picks up the dagger that she used to cut his ropes. “I will take care of Damos, you start heading to the gate,” He says and hands her the dagger. Placing an arrow into the bow, he aims it at Damos.

Alice runs to the back door and turns the knob. She looks behind her and sees another goblin above Will. “Watch out!”

Will gives a confused look. He looks up at what Alice was pointing at, and looks back at Damos. He is about to release the arrow when the goblin jumps on him. Dropping the bow, he tries to stab the goblin with the arrow.

Alice notices Damos moving and flies behind him with her dagger. She points it at him as she watches him roll on his side. “What did you do with my mother?”