Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

The smell of rain wafts through the patio as Alice walks out into it. She had not gone to any of her classes except for the one that she and Brittney shared. She sat there gloomily waiting for her friend to forgive her. Scott had told her to just give up and that there was no way Brittney was going to easily forgive her. But that did not stop her from going up to her table at the beginning of lunch. She just had to try once more.

“Can I sit here with you?”

Brittney looks her way in her black leather jacket, and turns her back on her. She takes a drink of her water bottle and does not say a word.

Not sure whether it meant a yes or a no, Alice decides to just sit across from her. “Brittney, I am leaving tomorrow and I do not want to leave things as they are.” She clasps her hands together on her bag. “Please forgive me.”

With her arms crossed on the table, Brittney looks down at her lap. “I can’t.”

“Why?”

“Because I can’t stand it when people lie about themselves and use other people.” Brittney does not even glimpse her way when she says it. She just continues to look any other way but Alice’s.

Alice gets up and takes her bag. Brittney’s cold attitude finally making her give up. She continues to walk till she was almost to the front of the school.

“Wait, Alice!”

She turns around at the sound of her name being called to see Scott running after her.

“I saw what happened,” He says when he catches up to her. “You okay?”

“No, I was wrong and you were right. Brittney is not going to forgive me.” She shakes her head, “I did not want anybody to get hurt.” She shrugs, “But I guess that is expected when you are a princess trying to fit in with everyone else.” Alice goes to turn, “I am just going to go. It was stupid of me to come.”

Scott grabs her arm to stop her, “Wait a second first of all it wasn’t stupid. It showed that you at least cared enough to come and clear things up even if didn’t work.” He turns her so she was facing him. “Secondly I think you should stay till the end of school.”

Alice squints, “You do realize that a troll and goblin attacked the gym because of me and they’ll probably do it again.”

Scott shrugs, “Then you fly to wherever is safe. I just rather have you leave the school with Will than leave on your own.”

“I can take care of myself, Scott.”

“Yeah, because it wasn’t me or Brittney that helped you off those bleachers,” He says sarcastically.

Alice does not say anything.

“Look there is only two hours of the day left. Come with me to art class and we’ll just hang around for the other hour.”

Alice closes her eyes and sighs. There was only two hours left of the day, so there was no point in leaving now. And Will is going to be there before the first bell rings, so she would not have to walk back by herself. She opens them back up and nods. “Fine.”

Alice walks outside the school building and starts scanning for the sidewalk across the street. Confusion washes over her as she does not spot Will. She scans again, and she still does not see him.

“Hey, where is he?” Scott asks coming up from behind her. “Dudes’ always here before school even finishes.”

Alice freezes in shock when a man makes eye-contact with her and grins. He was discreet about not causing a commotion, but she knew he wanted her to know who he was because he was still wearing Damos’ coat of arms on his chest. She clenches her teeth and glares because the fact is Will is not here and he is the reason why.