Chapter Two

Chapter Two

After their short conversation, Alice headed upstairs, and sat in front of her vanity mirror. She places the palm of her hand on her own reflection. Then her hazel eyes shows more sparks then it did this morning. Her light brown hair glistens against her slightly tan skin. She smiles of the excitement as she envisions her home. “Queen Celestial of Eden.” she whispers to herself.

            A woman replaces her reflection. Alice recognizes that fire red hair, and those moss green eyes. The elfish face smiles back at her. Those eyes show no hint of a battle that had happened, and simply shows happiness of a mother seeing her daughter after a long time.

            “Hello, mother.” she said. Her body stops shimmering after calling up her mother, and returns to the normal human body she dons. She bites her lip, hoping her mother will not mind how she looks. But again, her mother just seemed happy about seeing her safe.

            A tear start to form at the edge of Queen Celestial’s eyes. “Oh my dear, how happy I am to see you,” she mutters.

            Alice’s eyebrows crinkle. She just caught a glimpse of the Queen of Eden’s soft side. It was hard to see someone who was admired for being a strong leader to suddenly show some vulnerability. Alice wished she was there, only so she could hug her mother. Queen Celestial may have been in many battles in her life, but when it came to loved ones, as Alice could see, she was as soft as a lamb.

            Her mother wipes her eyes. “Sorry dear, it is just I have not seen you in so long,” her mother explains. “The castle has become quite lonely these last couple of days.” She looks down sadly.

            “Where is father?” Alice asked.

            “He went out into battle.”  Her mother looks at her. “We agreed that I will defend the castle while he defends the gate.” Queen Celestial gave Alice a smile that no one probably thought to find on a queen. A smile that would make any king even the most battle strong, bow down and ask for her hand in marriage, or eternal union as her people like to call it. “Not to worry. For your father is stronger then I, he is a fairy himself after all.”

            Alice slumped back in her chair. Imagining her father, King Allegros of the fairies. Out in battle. She knew how strong her father was. He carried the elements of the fire and earth, where on the other hand, her mother carried air and water. But only a fairy’s magic was more powerful than an elf’s. No, her mother was right, their king will win. There was no need to worry.

            “So, how is William doing?” Queen asks. Breaking Alice from being deep thought.

            Alice looked confused, Will spoke to them this morning. “Did you not ask him that when you spoke to him?”

            Her mother rolled her eyes, “I did, but you know he is not that open with me.” She gave her a sly smile, as if she knew something, Alice did not. “I mean you two are so close, I’m sure he tells you how he feels about this whole arrangement and everything.” Queen Celestial waved a hand at her daughter. “And I’m sure you do the same. You know being each other’s shoulder to cry on.”

            Looking up at the ceiling for half a second, Alice felt like her mother wanted her to tell her something. She looks back at Queen Celestial with her eyebrow arched up. “Mother, what are you getting at here?” she asked.

            The Queen only sighed, “Nothing honey just wanted to know how he is.”

            There are some things that Alice, would never understand. Some of those could possibly be her mother sometimes. These are one of those moments.