Chapter 19

A little over a week has passed since Louis and I last talked; eleven days to be exact.  Quick glances are made each time we see each other; occasionally  one of us will display a polite smile when passing each other in the hallways after school, but no words ever escape our mouths.

Though I told him I did not want to hear another word, I yearn for an explanation.

Why?

The words that were so delicately written across those journals pages screamed that he is so deeply in love with this woman.

How could he possibly entertain even the thought of me?

Annabelle asked why Louis hasn't been popping up at the house anymore. The only reply I could conjure up is that he has been busy.

"Like daddy?" Belle asked, the spirit in her big eyes dropping

"Smiley face pancakes with a side of hash browns" The waiter slid Belle's plate in front of her.

I breathed a sigh of relief, happy that this interruption excuses me from talking to Belle anymore about this subject.

"Apple cinnamon pancakes" The fresh apple aroma meets my nose

I grab my fork and  my eyes watch as Belle reaches for the ketchup.

"Belle, you never use ketchup?" I direct at her.

"Louis always puts a lot of ketchup on everything. Especially his hash-browns."

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat.

"Hi sweetie" Kathy, the owner of Bluehill Family Café, walks over to our booth and gives my shoulder a slight squeeze.

That shoulder squeeze. She knows.

"Who told you?" I said quietly, narrowing my brows up at her.

"Lacie, dear, the two of you came to the café at least three times a week together and when you didn't come together, he would come get you a coffee to go. Just because I'm old doesn't mean I'm clueless" She said "Next time you come in, coffee is on me, okay?"

"Thanks, Kathy" I smile.

"My pleasure." she says, giving my arm a quick tap before disappearing over to the counter.

No longer in the mood to eat, I stab my pancake with my fork.

"Louis!" I look up quickly, my heart pounding as the word left Belle's mouth.

"Hi Belle" Louis says, failing at an attempt to smile.

I sit there in my booth, my lips seemingly unable to move. My muscles seem numb and I am unable to make myself move, make myself react.

"Lace, can I talk to you?" Louis places his hand in the nook of his neck.

I finally am able to spit out words "Do you think that's appropriate?" I point to Belle.

"Oh, I'll take her over to the café" Kathy comes rushing over and reaches her hand towards Belle. "She can help me make a fresh cherry pie"

"I think I better skedaddle" Belle nods and grabs hold of Kathy's outstretched arm.

Traitor 

We stood there in silence. Well, Louis stood there. . .I stayed in my seat.

"Lace, please"

The ache in his voice pulled me in.

I took a deep sigh before sliding out of my booth "Fine".

Louis closes his eyes "Thank you" he says before leading me outside.