Chapter Four

It's crazy how your mind can take a situation and make it seem much more than it is. One simple invitation to dinner resulted in a week long game of 'Avoid the Louis'. Which is quite hard to do, even if you are a master at the game it originated from. When you have a toddler, you get very creative at finding hiding spots.

"Lace, it's been over a week. He's probably already forgotten you even asked him to dinner." Liam tells me "He also probably thinks you've moved to Mexico or something. You've been avoiding him like the plague"

"Look how high i'm going!" Annabelle calls from the swings. The metal chains creak as she glides back and forth

"Not too high!" I call back with smile.

"You do realize that he more than likely really did have to go home and do something" Liam commented

"It was just the way he said it" I shake my head "There's no way he wasn't just trying to get out of dinner with me"

"You told me exactly what he said like ten times, Lacie. That's not what happened" He shook his head "But. . . " A sly smile creeps across his face

"But what?" I ask him "What's with the face?"

"You never told me why you asked him to dinner. Or why it bothered you so much that he didn't go. We've analyzed the situation for a week now, and you've avoided both of those things" He leans back against the picnic table we are seated at.

"I didn't avoid either of those things" I clarify

"Yes you did" Liam says back

"No I didn't" I fight back.

"Then why haven't they come up. Those are normal things that would come up for this kind of thing" Liam utters

"I don't know"

"Well then now you can answer them" He puts his hand out, signaling my answer

"It just came up" I shrug

"I don't believe you" Liam laughs "You know, it wouldn't hurt you to go on a date"

"Excuse you?" I let my mouth hang open, stifling a laugh

"You haven't been on a date since you and William separated. That's a long time, Lace"

"I know" I admit "It's not easy dating after you've been married"

"I know, Lace. I get that, but Louis seems kind of cool" Liam comments, "Kind of strange, but cool"

"You are not setting me up, Liam."

"Am I not? I'm pretty sure I am" He smirks

"Liam, no" I tel him in my motherly-like tone

Liam smiles, then turns his attention to Annabelle-not assuring me he was going to back down on his plan.

"Liam"

"Oh, looks like it's time to go" Liam stands up and calls Belle over.

"Liam!"

Annabelle sprints to the picnic table, stopping feet from us. Her hands landed on her hips as she took deep breathes.

"That is enough physical activity for one evening" My daughter manages to get out between breathes.

I'm convinced that Annabelle is really an adult just trapped in a little human's body. One day I will be able to prove my theory. One day.

"Can we look at shells before we go home?" Belle asks, brushing her messy hair away from her face