Chapter 13

The clock's hands on my classroom wall slowly tick around its base. I sit at my desk, shoveling through papers that need to be graded. Hardly any work seems to get done from the interruptions caused by my own smiles when I think about Belle's party. Well, specifically, Louis at Belle's party. I interrupt my work yet again with the next round of smiles creep across my face.

"Stop it" I said out loud to myself

I shake my head to refocus myself and I return to grading papers.

My attempt at focusing is quickly disrupted by the rapid sound of sneakers squeaking down the hallway.

I look towards my door, waiting to see what will rush by.

Louis.

The squeaking halted shortly after he passed my door.

"Lace" He said short of breath, popping his head into my door way.

"Louis" I reply, noticing the journal he has gripped in his hand.

What is up with him and that journal?

"I'm really late for soccer practice, but you look very pretty today" he said

"Thank you" I smile

"And I also would like to know if you would do me the pleasure of going out on a very official date tonight?" He said, scratching at his beard

"Well sure" I said "But who will I be going out with on this very official date?" I tease

"You're funny" He raises his brow and points his finger in my direction "One of the many things I like about you"

My smile broadens "What time?" I ask

"Right after soccer practice. I'll run in the locker room and grab a shower and we will head out, okay?"

"Sounds like a plan" I nod

"Great" He says, sending me a brief smile before racing down the hallway.

"An official date" I say through a permanent smile, doing a little dance in my spinn-y chair.

---

Most of practice is over before I finish grading papers.

I wriggle my arms into my coat, making my way over to the bleachers in the field.

Liam sees me and scoots over, patting a spot on the bleachers next to him

"How's it going?" I ask

"Good" He says "Belle was more interested in picking out four leaf clovers than getting the ball at the beginning of practice but she shifted gears and is doing well now. . ." Liam looks at me as he furrows his brow "Why are you so smiley, weirdo"

"I don't know" I laugh, looking out at the field; my eyes stopping at Louis.

"Oh. Come .On" Liam returns the laugh "You got it BAD" Li raises his voice

"Shhh!" I hush him as parents gave quick, borderline-concerned glances

Liam continued to laugh "What did he do?"

"Well" I say, lowering my voice "He asked me to go on a date with him after practice"

"Hate to say 'I told you so'-well no that's a lie. I very much like telling you 'I told you so'. So- I told you so"

"Bring it in!" Louis calls

"I'm cautiously excited" I say "I don't know" I shake my head "It's been a long time since I've felt like this, Li"