Chapter 8

Recap: "Your...dad...died." she managed to choke out between sobs.

Suddenly a million years streamed down my face. I fell to the floor and just sobbed. Why did this have to happen? I seriously thought he would wake up. Cody came over and picked me up bridal style and carried me to my room. He placed me on my bed and just sat there holding me in his arms. I can't believe this is happening. I wish I could've seen him one last time. After about an hour of just sitting on my bed, my door creaked open to reveal my aunt behind it.

"Cody, can I talk to Baylee alone for a few minutes?" my aunt questioned.

"Of course. Baylee, I'm going to go home, but I'll be back in about 20 minutes. Okay?" Cody asked. I just nodded my head and he was out the door. My aunt came and sat by me.

"I know you probably don't want to hear this, but we've got to go back home..." she said.

"I know...permanently?"

"I'm not sure..." she trailed off. This made me want to cry even more. How am I supposed to make it through all of this with out Cody? It's impossible.

"I really don't want to go back to Arcadia. There is to many bad memories there." I stated.

"Well...we aren't exactly going to Arcadia."

"What? Where are we going then?" I said confusingly.

"We're going to Grandma's house, in Oklahoma." she replied. Greatttt. I just shrugged. I really needed to think about everything, so I decided to take a shower. Once I was in the shower, all of these thoughts flooded my mind. What is you have to stay in Oklahoma permanently? How are you going to live without Cody? Is mom still alive? Is she going to die too? I turned off the water and got dressed quickly in some sweats and a t-shirt. I walked back into my room and saw Cody standing there with his arms wide open. I ran intro them and held onto him tightly. He rubbed my back and whispered in my ear that he loves me. I pulled away from him and sat on the couch that was in my room, he followed me.

"You know I'm leaving, right?" I stated with almost no emotion at all.

"I figured you would have to. But not for forever right?" Oh that was the question we both dreaded.

"I don't know..." I trailed off just like my aunt did. He just looked at me with eyes full of hurt.

"Well where are you going?" He asked.

"Oklahoma..."

"Well, babe, I would go with you, but you need to be with family. But don't worry we will Skype and text all the time. I can't go very long without seeing that beautiful face of yours!" He said. A smile formed on my face...for the first time since I got home. He is probably the only person that could make me smile right now. My aunt walked back into my room and told me we were leaving tomorrow morning at 8 and I needed to pack. I pulled out my suitcase and Cody started helping me pack. After an hour he got a text from his mom telling him to come home. He promised me that he would see me before I left. As soon as he was gone, I broke down in tears again. I finished packing and then cried myself to sleep.

The next morning, I woke up and went to the bathroom. I groaned as I saw my reflection in the mirror. My eyes were puffy and bloodshot. I braided my hair and changed into some shorts and a striped tank top. I didn't bother with any make up. I grabbed my phone, headphones, purse, and my suitcase. Then, I trudged downstairs. I loaded everything in the car and went back inside. I still haven't heard from Cody. Then, as if it was on cue, my phone started ringing.

-Phone Conversation-

Me: Hello?

Cody: Hey babe.