A Message

A Message

I couldn't figure out what to say to Sabrina so I hadn't texted her yet. I woke up with her on my mind and I found myself smiling. I hadn't been happy like this without hooking up with someone in a very long time.

I started the text message a few different times but they all sounded too corny or too proper.

Moz opened my door, "Karlie cooked to make up for keeping me out so late. You hungry?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I'll be out in a second."

"Oh and just text her good morning. I saw you had your thinking face on when I first came into the room." Moz said, closing the door.

I shrugged, Moz had a point. You can't go wrong with a simple good morning text. Maybe I should add an emoji or she might think I'm not interested in talking to her. But if I add one she might think I'm too eager to talk to her.

I decided to just do the semicolon and a parentheses instead of using a regular emoji.

Me: good morning Sabrina ;)

I tossed my phone on my bed too nervous to see if she responded and walked into the kitchen. Karlie and Moz were having what looked like an argument that I wanted to be nowhere near.

"Where the fuck did you disappear off to last night, Karlie?" Moz asked.

"I told you I was in the fucking pool!" Karlie screamed, "What? You don't trust me?!"

"I searched that pool high and fucking low Karlie, you weren't in that muthafucka!" Moz screamed at her.

I grabbed a plate and put some food on it. I checked the time and saw I had to hurry up if I planned on making it to work on time. I should've been a bit more cautious of their arguing but it wasn't something new.

If it wasn't one thing then it was another.

*~*
Sabrina: wanna hang tonight? Just me & u

Me: sounds wonderful. Where? What time?

Sabrina: it's a surprise. I'll pick you up around 6:30.

Me: I don't like surprises

Sabrina: idc you'll love this one ;)

"Mia, this isn't what you get paid to do." My boss told me with an eye roll, "I need these done before you can go home tonight."

"I know, Mr. Gromez. I'm almost done." I replied and began filling out the remaining paperwork for effect.

The truth was I had gotten caught up texting Sabrina that I didn't even realize I hadn't fallen behind on my work. It wouldn't be hard to catch up though, I could do this in my sleep.

"Yeah whatever Mia." He said with a strong cough into a tissue he had in his hand. The cough racked his whole body and made me want to spray Lysol on the man himself.

I went back to studying the pictures I was sent and filling out the corresponding paperwork. Some of the pieces were more contemporary than others while some where beautiful, a few were a bit harder to interpret.

The life of an art dealer. Staring at art all day and deciding whether or not you want it displayed in your gallery is the worst.

Especially when the artist takes the rejection bad.

It's never that the art isn't bad because no art is bad. It's all open to interpretation but some art just needs more work because some artist need more improvement.

It took me 4 years and an unpaid internship for me to even land myself a space for one of my paintings in my first gallery show. I was 20 years old and I had been painting since I was 12.

It takes time and patience to practice and get good but some people don't understand that and want to be amazing overnight.

Yeah, that's definitely not going to happen.

I finished my work and handed it to Mr. Gromez, "Here you go, I finished my work and I'm about to go."

"Okay thanks Mia. Have a good day." He responded opening the documents and looking at the first one.

It was currently 5 on the dot and I had to drive home during rush hour. I needed to have enough time to actually get ready for this date so I hoped I would get home quickly and that the streets weren't as congested as usual.

Of course, it didn't go the way I wanted and I didn't make it home until 45 minutes after 5. I hurried inside to see Moz and Karlie arguing again but this time about something different.

"You have to come out with me!" Karlie whined, pouting her full lips.

"I'm tired Karlie! I have to go to work tomorrow morning!" Moz yelled, putting her curly hair up into a bun as if she was getting ready for a fight.

I took that as a sign to step between them, "Yo chill. Karlie, you don't need to go out every damn night and you can't expect Moz to go with you. Unlike you, she works everyday to pay her rent and finance you. Half the time, you disappear anyways."

Karlie smacked her teeth, "Was I talking to you? I could've sworn I was talking to Armozia and not you."

"I don't care who you talking too, you talking to my best friend then you talking to me." I told her.

Moz grabbed me, "Thanks bro but I got it."

I went to the bathroom and took a hot shower. I could feel myself growing irritate with Karlie, she's so annoying. I got out and checked the clock which said 6:15. I had texted Sabrina my address so without a doubt, I knew she'd probably be on time.

I hurried to my room and pulled on a pair of black jeans and a white button down that was long sleeved. I couldn't find the shoes I wanted to wear anywhere which was irritating my soul. I wanted to wear my red loafers but I couldn't find them so I settled for my tan timberlands and hoped the date wasn't too formal.

I looked in the mirror and saw my twist out was still popping so I didn't have to do much to my hair except put a little coconut oil in it to make it shine a bit more. I had all of 4 minutes before she was supposed to be at the door.

I brushed my teeth and sprayed on cologne all before Moz called for me. I knew that meant Sabrina was here waiting for me.

I walked down the hall to the front door with a bright smile on my lips. It morphed into a frown when I saw Sabrina standing in the living room by the door.