Chapter Ten: Expectations

You can't fight the sun, you can only helplessly watch as it brings you into the next day. Which was exactly what my problem was. It had already been three days since the Masquerade Ball, and school was now on spring break for a week. I walked into the kitchen fully awake and went to the fridge to retrieve some orange juice. On the kitchen table sat a note which stated my dad and sister had both gone out for the day, leaving me home alone.

There was a sudden knock at the door and opening it I saw the familiar face of Clayne. He had a brown paper bag in one hand and a cup holder with two coffees in the other. “Hey. I brought breakfast.” He gestured to his contents. I smiled, hoping to look friendly and opened the door further to let him in. From his facial expression, I looked as hideous as I felt. “Sure thing. Come on in.”

I went to sit in the living room, him following behind. As we sat he passed me a bagel with cream cheese already spread on it and a coffee. “I'd figured since both your dad and Jenna were out we could hang out.”

Trying to hide my shock I took a bite of the bagel, “No offense, but when have you been wanting to spend time with me? And shouldn't you and Jenna be doing that?”

“Jenna and I aren't anything but friends. That's it. I'm interested in someone else anyways.”

My eyes grew wide, “That's not what Jenna thinks, and if you hurt her, you'll have to deal with me.” He looked at me before a smile spread across his face, “I wouldn't. I just haven't had a chance to get a moment with her alone.” He took his last bite of the bagel, “And I wouldn't wish your wrath on anyone.”

I nodded, “Good. I'm glad you're going to talk with her.” I took a sip of the hot coffee and swallowed, savoring the taste.

“Aria.” Clayne said and I looked up at him, “What is it?”

He shook his head, “You're just not yourself. If something happened at the Masquerade you can tell me and we can work on making it better.” For a minute, a split second even, I thought about telling him the truth. Blurting it all out for him to know, letting him tell my father and the hunters so they could end this all. But deep down in my heart, I knew I couldn't.

“Nothing happened. I just have been tired and bored. Usually school keeps me busy during the week but now that we have off and Jenna is always gone, I really don't have anyone to talk to.”

“But you know you have me. We used to hang out a lot.”

I shook my head, “Yeah. But that was when we were dating. It's different now. I'm different now. We both have atleast grown a little from before.”

“I guess so. Just know no matter where you are, or what you need me for, I'll always be here for you.” He smiled at me. I didn't respond but instead picked up the trash we had made and got up to throw it away. I didn't realize he would follow me.

“Aria there's something I need to say..” He started. I turned abruptly to him, “I'm going to go for a run. I'll see you soon okay?”

“Er, alright. If that's what you want.” He seemed taken aback at first before his eyes formed into slits. “Not to anywhere suspicious right?”

“Not to anywhere I would get in trouble. I'm going to the antique store down the street.” I sighed, “I'll be back in about an hour or so if you want to come back, dad should be home.”

“No, actually I have some work to do later on, with some people I know. I'll come visit you soon.”

“And you'll talk to Jenna.” I raised an eyebrow.

Now it was his turn to sigh, “I promise.”

**

I remember being a little girl sitting on my mother's lap and humming a tune she used to call Danse Macabre. She told me that if I hummed it, it would scare all monsters away. “For it is the song of the dead.” She had once said to me. Walking down the street, I thought about that time. I was always so happy. So free and outgoing. I had friends, a good life, always thought life was long lived and a fun ride. I was wrong.