Chapter Seven: The Pipers Story

Clayne do you have a second for me?” He jumped at my sudden approach and turned to me with a raised eyebrow, “Uh, sure thing Aria.”

It was finally the weekend and I was glad my dad had invited the hunters over for a meeting this morning, it would give me a chance to find my destination; Dark Woods.

“I need you to tell me how to find this.” I handed him a paper with the name of the location and his eyes grew wide, “Why the hell do you want to go here?”

“I heard from Maira it was full of really beautiful scenery. I have a thing for nature. She went there just last weekend and were going this afternoon so she can show me.” I hated lying. It was one of my pet peeves, but if I was going to get more answers it was mandatory.

“Oh, alright. Well its east of the house. I'll write down the directions here or I could go with you and lead the way so you don't get lost.” He said getting up from the chair. My arms flew out and grabbed his shoulders, “That's totally unnecessary. I promise, anyways its kind of a girls thing.”

“If you say so.” He looked at me skeptically. I tried my best to smile and apparently it worked because he smiled back. “Alright I'll write you the directions. But can I ask you something?”

“Sure. What is it?”

“Why ask me instead of your dad? I mean what made you come to me?” he coaxed. I swallowed, “I just thought you'd be the one to ask. You are a hunter and have been one since you were thirteen. I just figured I would ask you. Plus my dad is super busy.” Then I thought about it, “Speaking of which what is this meeting about?”

“We haven't heard or seen from the Grimm since the rave. And it makes us suspicious. There are also no vampires been spotted and no killings. Which only a person can wonder how they are getting food.” Why haven't they? He had told me there was nothing he could do? Did he do something?

“Huh. Maybe they left? Went somewhere else for blood? Any reports on towns nearby?” He shook his head. “Well I wonder what happened, so what are you guys going to do?”

“Wait it out for a bit probably. Who knows what your dad will do. Whatever he chooses though, I told him I'll protect everyone with my life.” I rolled my eyes. Clayne lost his dad to a vampire when he was nine, just four years after I lost my mom. He clung to my dad ever since, following his every step, every judgment. Sure, it got annoying to me but I tried not to make many remarks to him about it, I knew deep down he just missed his dad as I missed my mother.

“I understand, and don't worry we'll figure this thing out.”

He nodded, “Just promise me you'll be safe walking around Dark Wood.”

I smirked, “Clayne it's woods not a death trap. Relax I'll be fine. Maira will be with me.” Technically someone more powerful then Maira or I combined would be with me, still he didn't need to know every single detail.

“If you say so. Just don't be home to late, you know why they call it Dark Wood.”

I stopped, “Wait no I actually don't. Care to tell?”

“Basically the bark of the trees looks almost black when it turns nighttime. Makes it very hard for you to see and anyone can get lost very quickly.”

“Huh, I'll be on my guard. I'm going to go. Tell dad I love him” Just then a voice said,“Why don't you tell dad you love him.” Turning I smiled at my dad.

“Fine then, Dad I love you. I'm going out for a bit.”

“Where to? And why?” I sighed. “Clayne will explain. I don't feel like saying it all over again. It's safe and I'll be home no later than eight.” I crossed my heart and he nodded.