Chapter 9

The next few weeks passed by normally. I took the SAT’s and sent in my applications for college and now it was a waiting game. Wally and I were hanging out more and he was now driving me to and from school and we even hanged out after school a few times.

Right now we were sitting in the caf eating when a teacher walked in with an air horn. Everyone quieted down as we looked at the teacher waiting for the announcement.

“There have been wolves sited in the area. You are advised to use the buddy system when outside,” the teacher said as students turned to each other and started talking about the wolves.

I didn’t notice Wally and his friends looking at each other as I started to panic. I started to curse Mrs. Kim as I felt a tight feeling in my chest and realized I was having a panic attack. She said I would be safe here and that nothing would happen. I could hear my pulse beating in my ears as I tried to get to my bag for the inhaler. I couldn’t hear what was happening around me, but I was able to watch as Wally shot out of his seat and came to me. I could see his lips moving but no sound was coming out. I felt someone lay me on the ground and out of the corner of my eye I saw my bag. I made one last effort to reach for it but it was too far. As I felt someone take hold and squeeze my hand I passed out.

 _________________________________________________________________

Mom, where are we going? Mom?

Shut up Malia!

But where are we going? Tell me. I wanna know.

Just stop Malia, just stop it. Be quite.

WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop crying!

Get out! Get out now!

Mom no.

Get out!

Stop it your hurting me.

Mama, where are you going?

Mama?

Mama, come back!

Mama, don’t leave me!

Mmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm

_______________________________________________________________

I woke to the sound of a heart monitor and I knew I was in the hospital. As I opened my eyes everything was blurry at first but then slowly began to clear. I heard movement and Mr. Kent appeared over me. He was in his work clothes.

“How you doing kiddo?”he asked.

“Tired. Where’s Mrs. Kent?” I rasped.

“She’s on her way.”

“I’m sorry you had leave work.”

“Don’t worry bout it. You have visitors. Feel up to seeing them?”

I nodded as he left the room, then seconds later Wally walked in. He took a seat in the chair by the bed and grabbed my hand.

“How you doing?” he asked with a sad voice.

“Tired, but I’ll be fine. What happened, after I passed out?”

Damion saw you trying to reach your bag so he went through it and found the inhaler. We used that while someone ran and got a teacher who called the paramedics. God, you scared me.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t let it happen again. Mr. Kent is seeing when you can leave.”

“They usually let me leave the same day if it wasn’t bad.”

“Usually? It’s happened before?”

“Ya, time to time.”

“Next time let me know, I’ll take care of you.”

“Thank you Wally,” I said as I squeezed his hand, and he squeezed back.

We lapsed into silence as he held my hand and drew circles on the back with his thumb. The silence was interrupted when Mrs. Kent came in with a nurse.

“Malia! Are you okay? Thank you for taking care of her Wally,” Mrs. Kent rambled out as the nurse checked my vitals.

“Good news love, you can go home today,” the nurse said as she unhooked me from the machines.

Wally left with Mrs. Kent to sign the release papers while I changed back into my clothes. The nurse gave me a refill on my inhaler and an extra before I left. When I entered the waiting room Emily and Michelle jumped up and hugged me while Damion gave me a pat on the back and Jason stayed sitting. He’s not a fan of me I guess. Mr. Kent ushered me to the car while Mrs. Kent talked with the doctor. He told them to keep me home for the rest of the week to let my lungs rest a bit.

The ride home was quite. I was still tired from the medication so I went straight to bed. As I started to fall asleep I heard my phone beep with a message, but I was too far gone to check it.