Chapter 6

I decided to write the majority of the story from Malia’s POV just based on the fact that I don’t feel that I can write a guy’s POV well and guy thoughts, but if you want me to I’ll try just for you guys. ;P

Waking up this morning was much easier to do than the previous nights. I think knowing that Mrs. Kent was willing to fight for me had something to do with it. I took my time getting ready this morning and walking to the kitchen feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed. I greeted Mrs. Kent as I sat down and smiled as she sat a bowl of oatmeal in front of me. I started to eat but choked when she told me that she asked Wally to pick me up and drop me off today.

I looked at her with a look of panic, “what you do that for.”

“I thought you liked him. If you didn’t why were you asking question about him yesterday.”

I sighed and with a pitiful look on my face finished eating. I was putting my bowl in the sink when a knock sounded at the door. I glanced up, watching Mrs. Kent go to the door to answer it knowing that Wally was on the other side. As I gathered my stuff and walked towards them I could hear Mrs. Kent thanking him for picking me up and dropping me off. When I came into view I saw Wally smile and say his goodbyes as he led me to his car. I smiled at him as I got in and pulled on my seat belt. It was quite as he started the car and pulled out of the driveway.

“What kind of car is this?” I inquired, trying to make conversation.

“A 2009 Chevrolet Camaro,” he answered back without taking his eyes off the road.

I hummed in acknowledgement, and looked out the window.

“You’re going to have to wait after school till about 5. I have baseball practice on Tuesdays,” I looked over as he said this and silently groaned.

It wasn’t long before we pulled up to the school, and as we got out I stopped when I noticed how many people were watching us.

“Wally, everyone’s staring at me,” I squeezed out of the corner of my mouth.

This little bugger didn’t say anything but take me by my hand and practically dragged me into school.

“You need to go to your locker?” he asked.

“Hmm, no,” I said as I shook my head, while looking at him.

So we went to Math class.

We walked in and I saw his friends sitting in their seats and when they saw us, Emily, Michelle, and Damion smiled at us while Jason gave a two finger salute.

“Omg, what about this math homework Mr. Davidson assigned us. I was up late last night trying to do it but it was too hard, besides, when will I ever need to solve quadratic equations in my life,” Michelle complained while Damion rubbed in back in sympathy.”

“How about you Malia, did you find the work difficult?” Emily asked after I was settled into my seat with Wally right beside me.

“Actually it was pretty easy. All you have to do is arrange the equation in the form "(quadratic) = 0". Also, the "2a" in the denominator of the Formula is underneath everything above, not just the square root. And it's a "2a" under there, not just a plain "2". So you need to make sure that you are careful not to drop the square root or the “plus/minus” in the middle of your calculations, and remember that "b2" means "the square of ALL of b, including its sign", so you can’t leave b2 being negative, even if b is negative, because the square of a negative is a positive,” I started to trail off as I noticed the look awe they were all giving me, Jason included.

“I’m good with numbers,” I said with an awkward smile as I looked back at them.

It was silent for a moment after that.

“That amazing, I know who is going to be my partner when we get to do our tests in pairs, sorry Wally but she’s mine,” Emily rushed out with a joking tone.

I blushed as I l turned around to face the front as Mr. Davidson proceeded with roll call. Class was quite as we handed in our homework and received another set of equations for homework, and Mr. Davidson talked about Scientific notation. When the bell rang Wally stopped me from leaving with the rest of the class.

“What classes do you have next? Can I walk you there?”

I looked at him for a moment before replying.

“I have Science than Physics,” I told him.

I turned to look behind me when I heard a low whistle coming from Jason, “beauty and brains, ya don’t see that often,” he remarked with a smirk on his face.

Before I could say anything Wally stepped in front of me and had a stare down with Jason. I was going to walk away when Wally grabbed my hand to keep me in place. He stared at Jason for a few more seconds before he turned and pulled me out the room with him. Just as I noticed that there were no students in the hall, the bell rang signalling that we were late for our next class.