Chapter 16

"What did you say?" Mr. Kent growled as he stood up.

"I'm not leaving! The last time I left this house I got kidnapped by a psycho maniac and his little friend!" I yelled back.

"Don't you yell at me!" Mr. Kent yelled back.

"Ok hold on now, everybody calm down," Mrs. Kent started as she came between us.

"We've all had a few long days and we all need some rest. Malia, you're not ready to go back yet and that's fine, you can take all the time you need. But let's all go to sleep and talk about this in the morning, Okay?" Mrs. Kent continued.

Mr. Kent just grumbled and walked off into their bedroom with Mrs. Kent following behind.

Wally was staring at me but before he could say anything I beat him to it.

"I'm not leaving," I told him.

"It's okay; I'll bring your work over for you."

"Malia, everything's going to be fine. I promise," He said as he gave me a hug and left.

I locked the door behind him and went off the bed. I didn't get much sleep. I ended up lying in bed thinking about all those "what ifs" till I saw the sky start to lighten and only then did I fall asleep.

By the time I work up it was after lunch and I could hear Mrs. Kent in the kitchen. I slowly got out of bed and made my way towards her. I stopped at the door way to the kitchen and watched her do some dishes.

"I'm sorry," I said.

Mrs. Kent jumped and turned around to face me.

"What are you sorry for?" she asked as she walked over to me.

"If I was more careful, none of this would have happen," I told her.

She pulled me into a hug. "Malia, none of this is your fault. It was those men's, and no one thinks it's your fault," she said as she held me tightly. "Now come have some lunch."

"Thanks Mrs. K," I said as I sat down.

She didn't say anything about the change in tittle as she set the food down in front of me.

"Wally called. Said he got your work for you and he'll be by later to drop it off." Mrs. Kent said as she went back to washing the dishes.

"Is there something going on between you to?" She asked.

I chocked on my food and looked up at her like a deer caught in some headlights.

"Why would you ask something like that?" I squeaked out.

"Malia. It's easy to see that that boy is smitten with you. When you were gone he was here every second of the day and when he wasn't he was out looking for you."

I didn't say anything as I sat my food down and stood up.

"I'm not hungry anymore," I mumbled as I headed back to my room.

I laid down and stared at the celling for the next few hours till there was a knock at my door.

I sat up as I told them to come in and in came Wally.

"Hey, how are you?" He asked as he sat down at my desk and started pulling binders and books out and sat them down.

"How do you think?"

Wally didn't respond as he looked down and clenched his fists. After a few minutes he looked back up.

"I talked to your teachers and they sent a weeks' worth of work for you so you don't fall behind."

"Thanks. Wally?"

Yea, Malia."

"Can I have a hug?" I asked

Wally didn't say anything as he got up and came over to sit on the bed. He pulled me into his arms as mine came up around his back and I buried my face in his chest.

"Thank you for looking for me."

"I would never let anything happen to you."

As I pulled away my eyes caught something on his shirt and I froze.

"Wally, your hurt?" I asked.

Wally didn't answer but looked at me confused, so I pointed to his shirt, just below his ribs where a red spot was that looked like dried blood.

"You're hurt."

"What, no no. I'm fine. It was from earlier. Jason got a nose bleed and I helped him out. I guess I didn't notice that I got hit," he nervously rambled.

I looked at him but didn't say anything even though I knew he was lying. He got up and got my work from my desk and sat back down and started to explain the work sheets and the readings. He helped me with the work till Mrs. Kent called for dinner. Wally grabbed the work that we finished to bring back as I walked him to the door.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said as he pulled me into a hug.

"K."

I watched him leave before heading into the kitchen.