Chapter 7

As a warning, this chapter has mentions of attempted rape and abusive language. Reader advisory. The scene was hard to write but it’s an important part of the story and an important part in understanding Malia. The scene will be in bold as a flashback.

I glared at Wally as he put on a cute look trying to get back on my good graces. I didn’t say anything as I tore my hand out of his and tried to walk away but he caught up to me.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” he asked catching up to me.

“What’s wrong, what’s wrong is that you made me late to class on my second day because you had to prove some macho shit. That’s what’s wrong. Just leave me alone!” I spit out as I tried to walk away again, but he wasn’t having any of it.

“I was trying to protect you from Jason.”

“I don’t need you to take care of me Wally. I can take care of myself. I was able to take care of myself back when Mr. Johnson hurt me, and I’ll be able to take care of myself in the future.” I ranted off not realising what I allowed to slip out.

Wally got eerily silent as he glared at me. “Who’s Mr. Johnson?”

“What?”

“Mr. Johnson. You said he hurt you. What did he do to you?”

When Wally asked that I froze, realising what I had said. I tried to tell him that it was nothing and to forget it but he grabbed my arms and pushed me against the wall, demanding that I answer him. I didn’t know what I was going to do until a teacher rounded the corner and came towards us.

“What’s going on here? Wally, let go of the girl,” Demanded a teacher as he came closer.

“Nothing sir, I was just going to class.” I said as I pulled away. I heard the teacher telling Wally to go back to his class and as I turned the corner I glanced back and saw Wally in the same spot still watching me. Speeding up, I walked down a flight of stairs and made it to my science class.

Taking a breath I knocked on the door and entered when I heard a voice answer. As I walked in everyone in class stopped what they were doing and turned to look at me.

 I felt like a new animal at the zoo. 

I walked up to the teacher, a middle aged man with tan skin and explained who I was. When he asked why I was late, I told him that I had gotten lost. He introduced himself as Mr. Pereira, gave me the textbook for the class and told me to sit in the third desk from the door, and he resumed his lecture on circuits.

I didn’t pay attention during class. I was too busy worrying about how I could let Mr. Johnson slip. I was only glad that Wally doesn’t know the whole story. Before I knew it class had ended and I was on my way to Physics. I didn’t run into Wally or his friends I the hallway, but I felt like someone was watching me but whenever I turned around I didn’t find anyone, plus the hall was full of students.

Physics was boring for the most part, but at least Mr. Charles was entertaining to listen to. I did meet at girl named Amy, who invited me to sit with her friends at lunch which I agreed to right away. I don’t know what I would have done if I had to sit with Wally’s group. Talking with Amy made the time go by fast and our only homework was a question sheet on radioactivity.

Walking to the lunch room, Amy was looking at my schedule, seeing if we had any other classes together which we did. Biology and Chemistry. As we entered the lunch room Amy guided me over to a table that had three people already. Sitting down, Amy introduced them as Megan, Chelsea, and Susan, and we started talking.

“How old are you?” Susan asked.

“16,” I answered.

Megan looked at me and asked how a 16 year old was in the 12 grade and when I told them that I skipped a grade, they congratulated me at how smart I was.