A Possession (5)

Chapter 5

The rest of the week was hard for her. Evan popped up in the most unexpected places, intent on dragging her off. If she glimpsed a crowd of students coming her way, it meant that Evan was in the middle of it. Then she would promptly head to the other direction.

At other times he would just hang around her, talking, making her listen. By now she knew his likes, his hates and his in-betweens. She knew his family history, that he had an elder brother, that he hated dogs. But she still didn't know why he was talking to her. The real reason for it.

Because when she asked him why, he would reply cutely, “Because I want to be friends with you.”

The people would go, “Aww…!” But only she knew what he was implying. Friends? Friends with benefits more likely.

He took up to follow her home. He would stay for lunch, laugh around with her mom, play with their cat, do homework together, and if possible, steal a kiss as well.

Rose groaned. What happened? Just a week ago, her life was quite fine. And now? It was a hurricane.

“Rose!!!!”

And the devil comes.

She started to walk faster, scooting and sliding through the crowd, trying her hardest to get away. Forget about the cafeteria, she will have to find some place o have her lunch in peace.

“Rose! Wait up!”

“Shit,” she moaned as she faced a block in front of the notice board. "A getaway…getaway!!”

She spun around, heading to her left—

He grabbed her. And pulled her towards him. Rose gave a startled squeak and fell onto his chest, aided by the push of the crowd around them.

“Rose! Are you avoiding me?” Evan cried.

A hush fell over at his words. Everyone turned to them, to the way his hand was over hers, to how close they stood.

“Uh…no? I just have to be somewhere else now…” The students around them stared. And as usual, the whispers started.

“Why are they together?”

“Don't you think that SC representative is hanging around our Evan too much?”

“Does she think that she has a chance to—”

She broke free and ran away. The problem was that some people thought that it was cute, the way Evan wanted to be her friend. But there was an ugly side. Some girls thought that she wanted Evan. And they spread rumours around. They made snide remarks at her, pushed her around. She hated it. She disliked being the center of attention but now, she was that and more. She absolutely hated it.

She stumbled to a halt in front of the staircase leading to the roof. She looked around and realized that she had left the main building behind her. She was now in the science building. Perfect.

She climbed the narrow stairs and reached the metal door. Please don't be locked, she prayed. She turned the handle and the door opened. Smiling a little, she stepped up to the cement.

Cigarette butts were littered on the floor, beer cans, old packets of condoms…she gazed around, appalled. This was a haven to the delinquents in here. How come the SC didn't know of this place?

She hesitated, about to turn back when someone said, “Don't mind them. Come a little forward.”

She gave a start. And stared. Because in front of her was the school’s most feared girl, Rachel Brooks. She was a dark-haired girl with a permanent scowl on her face. Her hair grew long without a style and she dressed like a rebel. There were no rules for her. And yes, she was the queen of fights. More the reason to get away soon.