Disturbances (10)

Chapter Ten

Being the class representative certainly had its advantages amidst its stress and work. First, the authority. She loved being able to boss people around, and make them do something. And no, she wasn’t a sadist. It was just that she knew what was to be done, how it was to be done. And she excelled in managing people. Well…except for one person. But she didn't want to think of him.

Second, it was the way it gave her something to do. She was a hard worker, and what was more rewarding than having work piling up and finishing them off? It was really satisfying, like crossing out points on a to-do list.

Finally no one expected her to misbehave; therefore, she was not given any attention during class. Which meant she could read a book under her desk without being caught. Like now, as she stroked a page of a Dan Brown novel absentmindedly, during her Spanish class.

Another surreptitious glance up to check on her teacher, then back to her book. She wasn’t worried about missing her lesson, because she already studied it last night. And there were no points to be clarified. Smirking slightly, she turned to page number 68.

A rolled piece of paper dropped onto her desk. She froze, staring at it. Without moving her head, she glanced to her left, then right, and focused on Tom. He was one of those athletic people who always had a dark tan and freckles. They didn't have much to talk about usually but now, he was staring at her intensely.

Uh okayyy…

She unrolled the note and read it. Then stared.

Are you free this Saturday? -Tom was what it said. She frowned at it. Her first thought was, ‘Was it meant to me?’ A glance at Tom confirmed it.

Crap. Bloody hell. Holy—

“Rose? What’s the problem?”

She looked up at the teacher, to realize that she had slammed her hands on the table with a bang. She thought fast.

“An ant! An ant sir.”

He leveled her with a stare that clearly told her his opinion of crushing ants.

“I’m sorry.” He raised his heavy eyebrow.

“Lo siento,” she muttered. And then he turned away. She thanked god that he didn't see the Dan Brown book under the desk. Breathing in, she glanced back at Tom, who was facing the board, his lips tightened with worry? Or was he amused?

She suddenly wanted to know what. Carefully sliding the book into the desk she gave her attention to the lesson not wanting to invite any more close calls. And observed Tom too.

At the end of the class, she went up to his desk. Tom looked up expectantly, his cheeks slightly flushed.

“Well?” he asked, pushing his chair back as he collected his books. As he stood, she realized that he was tall. His height made her feel small, and vulnerable. She didn't know whether it was a good thing or not.

“I…” She hesitated and thought about her decision again. “I—I’m sorry. I am busy.”

His face fell slightly and then he asked, “Next week?”

She bit her lip. “Uh…I’m not sure.” Truth was, she couldn’t date. She didn't have time for dating. All her days were filled with either studies, or baby-sitting or reading.

He stared at her for a minute and then said, “Are you with Evan?”

“What? No no! How is that even related?”