Chapter 6

Many a truth is said in jest…..

Chapter 6

I drove to mom’s house and I went inside as she followed behind me. “Mary” mom said all happy as we came inside.

“Listen old lady. I have one question and I want it answered honestly. Did you know she was playing with me?” I asked her and was looking closely at her facial expressions. She has a tell, when she’s lying her left eye twitches.

“I didn’t know till a days ago when you asked about Evelyn. See we call Evelyn by her name and her Mary and not Evelyn. So Grady said to not say anything and let you guys handle your relationship.” She told me.

I glared at them.” There is no relationship” I tell her.

“Oh no, entonses que es esto?” She asked me then what is this as she hands me the paper.

“That is your precious Mary trying to move up in her job.” I tell her and walk out of the room as I hear Mary start to explain.

I was in my room when mom walked in with a sandwich and chips and believe it or not a juice box. “Victor, I think you’re being rude to Mary. They really didn’t do anything. You should have been able to tell them apart” She told me.

“I didn’t know there was 2 of them mama como?” I asked her how. How the hell was I supposed to tell them apart?

My cell phone rang and I turned my back on mom to answer it. She kissed my shoulder and walked out of the room. “Hello.”

“Hey my boys, calling to tell you the Sox’s have a game today. There is a pair of tickets waiting for you at the box office. Reporters have been tipped off about you guys being there. So here is your chance to get us more interest. If you decide to kiss her, well it wouldn’t hurt.” Said coach before hanging up.

What the hell! I am not going anywhere with her least of all kiss her. Just as I was thinking that Grady came in my room. I turned to him and punched him in the stomach. He keeled over and tried to regain his breath.

“Ok, ok I deserved that. But damn, boy did that girl looks sad out there. She meant no harm with her game. You where the one coming on so strong you could not see the difference in them. I noticed right away. That’s how I found out.” I looked at him and frowned.

“I have to go to a Sox’s game with her. I don’t want to be alone so your coming.” I tell him as I call coach and ask for an extra ticket. He was more than happy since his brother who is the coach of the Sox’s has been trying to get his hands on Grady. I put on a long sleeved shirt and told Grady to get ready.

I walked back to the kitchen and told her “coach called.”

“Yeah I know he called me too.” She said as she blushed, beet red. I’m guessing he told her about the kiss. We had just enough time to get to the box office.

“So what gives Mary, why didn’t we know about you?” Grady asked her. I made him come up front with me and sent her to the back.