Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five (Scythe's POV)

Jack finally let me go to Zaid's recovery room.

Zaid was fast asleep, the heart monitor he was connected to beeping gently. He was covered with a thick, warm quilt and propped up on a velvet pillow. He was cleaned up, wearing a crisp white shirt and matching sweats. He looked as good as new, almost as wonderful as the day I had met him, but now, it seemed like a dark cloud was hanging over us.

I approached the bed as quietly as I could, but it didn't matter. Zaid heard me.

His eyes fluttered open and he focused on my face before he blinked.

"Scythe?" He asked. I tried to smile, but it failed, so I just nodded. Zaid sighed with relief, reaching out and taking my hand in his. I stroked his knuckles for a moment, both of us silent. Until Zaid seemed far too uncomfortable with it, looking up at me, concerned.

"Scythe, what's wrong?" He asked. I didn't want to say anything about my talk with Jack. It left me feeling cold, but at the same time, it was so hard to refuse, so hard to lie to Zaid's face now. His eyes were beautiful, glowing in the fluorescent lights above. His skin had regained some color again and his hair wasn't sweaty anymore, now soft and scattered on the pillow.

"Zaid..." My voice trailed.

I felt paranoid. I glanced around the room, but it seemed clear. No little cameras, no open door. In fact, the room was completely sealed, no window, with only a small vent in the corner. I looked back at Zaid.

"Jack took one of the pups." I stated. Zaid's eyes flashed with something, but it was gone before I could tell what it was.

"Okay." He answered, his voice tight. I could vaguely hear Jack's voice in the back of my head, cooing about how Zaid wouldn't give a shit about our pups, but I knew he was lying. Zaid did, but it seemed he was as paranoid about Jack as I was.

"We're going to wait until you're healed, then take the other pup and leave." I replied.

"Which one did he leave?" Zaid asked. I looked at him, puzzled. I opened my mouth to ask him, but before I could, the door to the bedroom opened to reveal Ash, dressed in black from head to toe and holding a very unfriendly looking gun. My eyes flickered as a smirk swept across Ash's face.

"Jack would like to speak with you." He stated. I frowned. I sensed danger without even having to sniff the air. It was a suffocating sensation, a heavy lump in my chest. I looked at Zaid, who seemed alarmed and was trying to sit up, only to wince. I placed a hand on his chest.

"Wait here, I'll be back." I assured, glancing at Ash for confirmation. Ash shrugged honestly. I grimaced. Zaid looked at me, his eyes wide.

"Scythe-"

"I will be back."

"But-"

"Just rest. You're in no shape to run around right now. I'll be back with the pup." I promised. Zaid still looked ill at ease, but he didn't struggle anymore as I went to the door, stepping out with Ash jamming the barrell of the gun into my back. I winced, flashing him a glare, but he just smiled wickedly.

"Start walking, daddy." He commanded. I didn't really have a choice, so I obeyed, walking down the hallway. The only sounds were the tapping of our shoes on the tiles as we moved.

"What does Jack want?" I asked at last.

"Dunno. Probably wants to give you your kid." Ash answered nonchalantly. I still felt uneasy. Something was wrong. Something was dangerously wrong.