Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten (Scythe's POV)

It was dark out now.

The moon was glowing through thin wisps of clouds that curled through the sky. I gazed up at the moon, grimacing. It was more than half-filled, waxing. It wouldn't be long before it was full. I had to find Zaid before then.

Hell, I had to find Zaid ASAP.

There was no doubt in my mind that he was in danger. Jack had done something and taken him away.

He wouldn't kill him, I tried to assure myself, but it was so hard.

My heart pounded in my chest as I slowed to a trot, sniffing the humid air for any signs of him. All I caught was the heavy scent of rain and smoke. The only sounds were frogs croaking loudly from the nearby lake that merely rippled with snakes and probably a gator. The night was velvety dark, save for the tender glow of the moon and the stars glittering past the silky clouds.

It would be a beautiful night if I weren't sick with worry.

There was no trace of Zaid's scent anywhere and I was growing frustrated. I trotted along the border between our territory and Luna's before I went around toward the place that Zaid and I had met at only a couple nights before.

The sounds of the lake were nearer, the sounds of nature slowly dissipating, however, as the animals heard me approach. I sniffed the ground, catching only faint traces of Zaid's scent. It made my heart ache and I flopped down in the grass, nuzzling it and feeling a whimper rise in my throat, but I swallowed it before rising up again.

My tail swished behind me as I did a complete circle, trying to figure out which way to go when I heard a crunch.

I immediately dropped to the ground, slinking toward a tree and staying on the side opposite the sound. I listened, my ears perked in alarm as I dared to take a whiff of the scent. I picked it up as a member of Luna's, but I couldn't tell the pack member.

I peered around the tree to see the one known as Breece circling in a clearing, sniffing the air every so often. I frowned at his large form pacing in the woods before he suddenly stopped, his tail snapping to alert and his ears going up. He whirled around to face my direction and growled low in his throat. I slowly stepped out before sitting a ways away from him to show him I meant no harm.

Are you looking for Zaid? I asked. Breece blinked, then slowly lowered his tail, taking a step back.

Yes.

Any sign of him?

No.

Not much for talking, are you?

Not particularly.

That's cool. I respect that... Is there anyway to find him? Can't you guys pick up on Jack's scent?

No, he's completely hidden his trail. Breece answered dryly. I felt myself frown as I cocked my head, listening and silently sniffing the air for any signs that he was lying. It was difficult with the other scents of nature mingling it, but something didn't smell quite right.

Where's your alpha? I asked. Breece growled low in his throat.

Searching for his son, of course.

Which reminds me... Nyt said something suspicious when he came by our home earlier. He said Acacia was infertile.

Yes, she is.

Then how did she birth Zaid?

That's none of your business.

He's not their child, is he?