Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two (Scythe's POV)

"Why didn't you tell me about Ash?" I demanded.

Zaid looked up from his magazine, surprised at first before he expression twisted up in anger and he tossed the magazine down, getting up.

"Why did you tell everyone to make sure I didn't leave the house?" He returned angrily. I slammed the door shut behind me, locking it so no one could interrupt us. Zaid immediately took a step away from me, looking surprised at the rush of anger that hit me.

I had no idea where it came from, but it was there.

"Don't be stupid! I already told you, don't do anything that'll get you killed! And what you so conveniently forgot to mention to me was that one of Jack's men, Ash, was out in town! He was waiting for you! And what happens? He got his hands on Kyler and now Kyler won't even look at me because of whatever happened to him!"

"He got Kyler?" Zaid asked, looking pained. I rushed right on, however.

"No, shit, Zaid! Because you neglected to tell me that there was a creep hunting around in town for you guys! Had I know, I wouldn't have let Kyler go and hurt himself either! That could've been you, you know! Why didn't you tell me, Zaid?" I demanded at last in exasperation. Zaid scowled, clenching his fists in the gray sweatshirt he wore.

"Because you'd get pissed! Like you are right now! And Kyler said he wasn't allowed to hurt me because Jack already plans to come for me."

"No shit! I had to make the deal today with that little bastard to save Kyler. We're going to meet them in the Wagner's parking lot two months from now. We'll just barely make it, Zaid." I finally felt myself calming down, my muscles relaxing as I took a deep breath. Zaid dropped his arms to his sides and now the mound in his stomach had grown. I didn't say anything. Didn't dare because I'm sure Zaid would get angry or hurt.

"I don't want to talk anymore." Zaid replied quietly, then plopped back on the bed, pulling the blankets up to his shoulders. I sighed and walked over to the bed, falling down beside him. I curled myself around him, my arms over his torso.

"Sorry," I breathed against his ear, feeling him shiver, "I'm just sort of stressed, and yea, I know I'm not the only one. And don't take this the wrong way, because I still don't like Kyler, but he's acting weird about whatever Ash did to him."

"Probably something awful." Zaid murmured. He probably knew better than I did, having been Jack's captive for a while. Zaid sighed and closed his eyes.

"I want to ride my bike."

"I know."

We didn't say anything after a while, just laid there, breathing and listening to the sounds of Trisha finishing up dinner. I could hear Kylan and Alek coming home, which irritated me that they left together, alone. It meant they obviously didn't take Zaid's advice about staying apart. I didn't hear Kyler's door open, nor Nyt's. In fact, if I didn't know any better, I'd say Nyt hadn't left his room since the ceremony ended yesterday.

"We should head down for dinner." I said quietly, sitting up. Zaid sighed and rolled over onto his back, looking up at me tiredly.

"Scythe, I'm sorry. I'm just feeling weird is all."

"I can understand that."

"You have no idea... It's not fair... I don't hate Nyt or Acacia," He admitted after a while, closing his hand around mine, lacing our fingers together, "But at the same time, I wish they had left me. I feel different and out of place now. I mean, I sort of did before, but I thought it was just because I was to be the heir. Now it's just.... I dunno. Maybe I'm tired. Yea, you know, I think I'm just going to skip dinner." He let go of me and rolled back over. I frowned.