Chapter Six

Chapter Six:

I stared at all five elders within the room, just sitting around the kitchen table like they had been there the entire time. To say that I was nervous, would be an understatement. These five men and women were the only other people that had more power than the alpha, but they all had to be in agreement. Becoming a pack elder was an honor that was never taken lightly, or at least, that’s what I had read in the Book.

I set down glasses of water in front of each elder, trying not to crumble beneath their gazes. “Thank you all for coming. I am sure Gabriel will return at any moment.”

“He better. We did not make this trip just to visit with the town witch. Gabriel told us this was important. Why was he not here to greet us?” The elder with the white hair and grey eyes spoke up, his voice harsh and commanding. Had I known any better, I would have guessed that he could have been a possibility as alpha.

My smile faltered, but I just looked down at my feet before returning my eyes to his. “He was summoned by his father, who I am sure you all know is very sick. He-”

“He is sick no longer. Do not think to hide the truth from us, witch. We know what you have done, and we thank you for it. But if you hope to survive here, the mistruths will have to end.” My mouth snapped shut and I listened to him for a moment, unsure what else to say to that. I just nodded and sighed, turning when I heard the front door open.

Gabriel stood there, eyes widening slightly. “Oh, you are all here already.” He shifted uncomfortably under their cold stares. “Um, thank you all for coming. I’m not sure if our friend here has gotten to explain to you why you are here, but-”

“We know why we are here, Gabriel.” The elder from before spoke, the corners of his mouth curling into a smile. “Why don’t you tell us why we are here so that everything is clear?”

My face burned red hot, matching the red color of Gabriel’s cheeks. “Well, there are… some alarming signs that Talia may be my mate. That is impossible, isn’t it? We have not had sex, but with the ways things are going, both of us may be in danger.”

“You are in no danger.” The elder replied, smiling slightly. “Talia is what we call a link. She was born to bring brothers together in time of need. It is a strange sort of bond between a link and her men, but it makes a pack stronger. Through this link, the pack will conquer. A link is only as strong as the pack that backs her.”

Gabriel and I both just stared at the table full of elders, unmoving. Finally, I found my voice. “So what you are saying, is that I am meant to be the mate of not one werewolf, but even more than that?”

“Yes, you are the mate of all three of the alpha’s sons.” The elder smiled knowingly at me. “You will strengthen our pack before the rogues decide to make their move. If you fail, everyone here will die, including Gabriel and his brothers.”

Gabriel shook his head and laughed drily. “What? I have never heard of such a thing. Surely there would have been something in the pack books about that. I mean no disrespect, but are you sure?”