Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

I pulled into the diner on the outskirts of Woodward, Oklahoma and sighed. Nila meowed at me from her place on the passenger seat and tilted her head, blinking her large eyes. I just smiled at her and scratched behind her ears. “I know, baby girl. You don’t like car rides. If you behave while we are in here, I will get you a couple pieces of chicken.”

She immediately began purring and rubbing her head against my hand, making me laugh. I scratched her one more time and pulled my hand away, looking around the parking lot for Morrigan. I didn’t see her, but a man walking toward the front door caught my eye. Asif noticing that I was staring at him, he turned his gaze in my direction and almost gave me a full smile. Startled, I turned my face back to Nila, who had watched the entire exchange and continued purring.

“Shall we go inside?” I asked her, opening my purse so that she could jump into it. I partially zipped my purse closed, just enough to conceal Nila.

I grabbed my keys out of the ignition and got out of the car, making my way inside. The hostess quickly took me to a booth and handed me a menu, giving me a forced smile. “Your server will be with you shortly.”

I set my bag next to me on the seat and checked my phone for the time. I could feel someone’s eyes on the back of my head, and a cold sweat broke out over my skin. I turned my head enough to see that the man from outside was looking at me from his table across the room. I quickly looked away, struggling to breathe normally.

“Talia, you’re already here.” Morrigan slid into the booth across from me and gave me a smile. Her skin looked as young as mine, which never ceased to amaze me. Most people assumed it was a spell that kept her looking so long. They just don’t know that we have extended life expectancies.

I gave her a small smile, trying to keep from turning my head to look at the man again. “I figured that Mila and I would be safe coming inside to wait for you.”

“Safe?” Her eyebrows furrowed. “Talia, are you in trouble?” The burning on the back of my neck increased and the hairs on my arm stood on end.

I leaned forward, about to speak when the server approached. “Hi! My name is Katie and I will be serving you today. What can I get you ladies to drink?”

“Sweet tea.” Morrigan answered quickly.

I looked up at the beautiful blonde. “Make that two, please.” She jotted our drink orders down in her note pad and walked off to get the drinks. I turned my attention back to Morrigan. “I… am living with a pack of werewolves.”

“What?” Her eyes widened, and I briefly believed that her eyeballs were going to fall out of her head. “Talia, you know what they do to people like us.”

I chewed my bottom lip for a moment. “Yes, I do. Something with this pack is different. That is why I was wanting to meet with you. You may have some answers for questions that I have.”