Chapter 1: Help Wanted

~Chapter 1: Help Wanted

Beep

Beep

Beep

I groaned and slapped my alarm clock. I looked to the flashing red lights of my clock thet read 7:00 A.M. No girl should ever have to wake up at 7:00 A.M. on a Saturday. During summer! But, today was the day. The dreaded day I had to find a job because Dad had spent our savings on beer again.

He was the reason we were all cramped in this tiny apartment. He was the reason why Jake has to have two jobs. He was the reason why I had panic attacks. The reason why Emily can't go a night without a nightmare.

Our apartment has two bedrooms, one bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room. Dad got the slightly larger room, Emily and I share the little room, that was only meant for one person, and Jake sleeps on the couch. We used to live in a large house, but Dad stopped paying the bills and we had to sell it. Now all we can afford is this tiny place.

I slowly slid out of my warm bed and placed my bare feet on the cold, wooden floors. I padded over to our shared dresser and pulled out a white sundress. It was strapless and hugged my slim torso tightly then flowed out to my mid-thigh. I grabbed my undergarments and tip-toed to our shared bathroom. Everyone had to use this bathroom.

I started the shower and gathered my towel from the small closet. I quickly undressed and stepped into the shower and grabbed my wash cloth from the rack. I spent 10 minutes in the shower before quickly dressing.

I wrapped my dark brown hair up into a towel and brushed my teeth. I let my hair down and pulled it into a side braid.

I began to run bath water for Emily. I headed back to the room to wake her.

"Em get up." I whisper-yelled at her while I sifted through the dresser for her clothes.

I repeated myself five times, each time louder than the last. I went back to the bathroom and turned off her water. I headed back to the room and grabbed a pair of jean shorts and a light pink tee-shirt for her. I walked over to her bed and shook her awake.

"Come on kiddo I have to look for a job today." I said picking her up.

I placed her on my hip and carried her to the bathroom.

"Wash up," I tell her "And meet me in the kitchen when you finish. "

She nodded her head yes and began to undress. I walked out of the little bathroom and closed the door. I walked to the living room where Jake slept, sprawled across the couch, and kneeled next to him. I gently shook his shoulders and he got up.

I walked to the kitchen and began to make toast, eggs, and bacon. I sat three plates on the table and wrapped another one in tinfoil for Dad.

I sat down at the table with Jake and we gobbled down our food. I got up and put my plate in the sink.

Emily padded into the kitchen with her wet, blond hair soaking her shirt. I watched the beads of water drop from her hair.

I grabbed a towel from the bathroom and returned to dry her hair off. Jake plopped his plate in the sink and headed off to take his shower.

I ran the towel against Emily's hair as she ate. I wrapped her hair up into a towel turban. (A/N: Sorry idk what word to use but if you don't get it, It's basically wrapping your hair up with the towel.)

I walked back to our bedroom and grabbed a new shirt for Emily. A purple v-neck with a picture of a Care Bear on it. I grabbed a comb and slid a few hair bows onto my wrist.