Chapter 3: Brown Eyes

~Chapter 3: Brown Eyes

It was around 10 a.m. when I decided I should get dressed. Wednesday, the day I had to go and get my work schedule worked out. I peeled off my tee shirt and sweat pants and slipped into the shower. When I finished I locked myself in my room and stared at Emily's sleeping body.

She lay in a little ball beneath her thin, purple blanket. I watched her squeeze her torn little bunny, Hope. Mom had bought it a few months before Emily was born. I got to help pick it out. It was a soft, light pink, fluffy bunny rabbit back then. Now it was old and worn out. One black bead eye was missing. She always had Hope with her. (A/N: See what I did there? I tried to be deep...tried. Ok back to the story)

I quickly got dressed in a pair of light jean shorts and a purple tank top. It was still late summer and I knew the weather was fairly warm. I threw my hair up into a messy bun and removed my bandages.

My arms were slightly red with cuts along them and I pulled on a sweater to cover the damage. The cuts on my hand were barely noticeable so I let them be. I walked over to Emily's bed and threw her blanket off of her.

"Time to get up, Bunny!" I said while dancing to the dresser. The nickname had stuck when she started dragging around her little bunny, Hope.

"No." She grumbled out and flipped over so that she was face down on the bed.

I sighed and grabbed her some shorts and a black tee shirt. I threw the clothes at the foot of her bed and told her to get dressed. I peeked out of our room and down the hall. I checked all of the rooms and concluded no one was home.

I went back into our room and saw Emily still in bed, her clothes pushed onto the floor. I picked up my pillow and shook it on my bed until my IPod slipped out from the pillow case. I had it for years and refused to let my father sell it at a pawn shop so he could buy alcohol.

I put it on shuffle and grinned as Classic by MKTO came on.

I began to sing, "Ooh girl you're shinnin, like a fifth avenue diamond.

They don't make you like they used to, you're never goin out of style

Ooh pretty baby, this world might've gone crazy-"

"Alright I'm up!" Emily huffed and rolled off of her bed and onto the floor.

She crawled over to her clothes and lazily got dressed. I continued to sing and dance around the room before walking to the vanity. I examined the scar on my face, carefully running my finger along it. Emily came to stand next to me and grinned up at me.

She grabbed one of my pony tail holders from the dresser and tried to pull her hair into a bun, but failed. I giggled at her attempts and gently moved her hands. I ran a brush through her hair and pulled it into a pony tail.

I slid my feet into my ragged, purple converse and Emily pulled on her black ones. I grabbed my small, old phone from the dresser to check the time. 11:22.

"We need to head out Em." I said tugging her to the kitchen.

She grabbed a banana and Hope while I grabbed a water bottle before we headed out. We caught the bus to the mall and had 20 minutes to spare. We walked into the book store and moved to the back where the cafe was located.

"Back so soon?" the red headed barista asked.

"Actually," I began, "I'm here to speak to the manager, Todd?"

"Sure." She chirped. "Todd! New girl's here!" She yelled toward a door which I assumed lead to the kitchen.

"Doing paper work, I'll be out in 20!" A voice yelled from behind a different door.